Are custom URLs supported

Jump to solution
07-18-2017 08:01 AM
CarlHolt1
Occasional Contributor III

Currently using Collector for ArcGIS for viewing and created a Custom URL linked to Survey123, but when I use Explorer the fields are being populated with the data I have mapped out in the Custom URL. Is there something special I need for Explorer or is this capability not possible?

arcgis-survey123://?itemid=102b96d8619f4f58a6a71ec6974a596a&field:GRNWY_NAME={PROPERTY_N}&field:WATERSHED={CREEK_NAME}&field:GW_ID={GREENWAY_I}&field:GRNWY_TYPE={Fee_CE_Acq}&field:NOTES={NOTES}&field:SPEC_COND_1={SPEC_CON1}&field:SPEC_COND_2={SPEC_CON2}&field:SPEC_COND_3={SPEC_CON3}

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Carl Holt‌,

Are you still seeing this issue? We addressed the underlying issue that I referenced here https://community.esri.com/thread/198371-are-custom-urls-supported#comment-702777  

This should be resolved in the current version of Explorer, with one caveat. Looking at the url you are trying to build, if there are spaces in the values that will be substituted into the url, iOS will cut this off in the Custom Attribute Display. To get around this, you can copy/paste that same formula into the URL of a hyperlink and the spaces will be percent encoded.

Joel

View solution in original post

11 Replies
TimJordan1
New Contributor II

My link appears to quit working at the first ' { '. It just doesn't show anything after.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Tim,

See my response below. There is a known issue that it sounds like you're running into. I'm hoping this will be addressed in an update we're trying to get out.

Thanks,

Joel

EricPhillips3
New Contributor III

I know there's a bug out in this version of Explorer. 

• BUG-000106478: Hyperlinks appear as text in Explorer for ArcGIS (17.1.0) release

I am curious as to 1) when this is anticipated to be resolved and 2) if/when Explorer will support custom deep linking to additional apps.  I cannot seem to get a link to be supported when trying something similar to what is mentioned for Survey123: Integrate with other apps—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS .  Does a field need formatted as an HTML and/or for the HTML popup tool?? What steps am I missing?

EricPhillips3
New Contributor III

Additionally, it would be great to know if deep linking capabilities to other apps exists, whether the deep linking functions with offline capabilities.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Eric,

Thank you for referencing the issue above. That issue occurs when URL's are configured as an attribute and the popup is configured to display a List of Field Attributes. We have a fix for that issue so this will be working when we get out update out. In the meantime, you can configure the popup to display a Custom Attribute Display and reference the field that has the URL associated with it.

As far as the deep linking to other apps goes, what exactly are you seeing? What apps are you creating URL's for? Explorer has to whitelist the apps that we support calling out to in order for them to display as tappable links. Keeping the referenced issue above in mind, you should be able to configure a URL in a Custom Attribute Display to call out to any of the supported apps we've whitelisted. Can you provide some more details about the steps your following so I can ensure your workflow is supported?

Thanks,

Joel

EricPhillips3
New Contributor III

Joel,

Thank you for taking the time to review and comment. Previously with Collector, our URL's would display in any text field if they were entered. No other formatting occurred other than ensuring the field containing the URL was enabled before pushing to AGOL. No formatting as hyperlink or anything like that.

As for deep-linking, the deep link URL returns as text instead a clickable link in both Explorer and Collector. Specifically, I am looking to deep-link Box with Explorer. So far, the deep-links I've configured in both Explorer and Collector have not been clickable links in either ESRI app's attribute tables. Ideally, a pop-up attribute table in Explorer would contain a clickable deep link to Box (or any other app of my choosing), where the deep-link would resolve whether or not the user is connected online. Granted the information would need to be accessible on both apps offline, although the first step would be to ensure the deep-links are clickable within Explorer (as well as other ESRI applications). Similar to the urls I test above, I've only copy/paste deep-link url. These deep-links resolve to the app when test in a mobile browser. If there's a specific workflow I should be following when configuring data in desktop or AGOL before consuming in Explorer, please let me know.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Eric, 

So it sounds like you are configuring your maps in Pro or Desktop? Either way, you should be able to format your popup to have text and the raw URL should display as a link as long as: a) the application is supported, and b) the application is installed on the device (ie the app can be opened via the URL). You do not need to configure the URL as a hyperlink in order for it to display as a link. The data detectors in iOS should do this automatically. 

There was the issue on our end if the URL was being used in a List of Field Attributes where the data detectors were not working properly. We have addressed this in our update build so once we get this out the door you would be able to see the links in the attribute tables. Please keep in mind my response to Carl below where there is a known issue with dynamically creating links using multiple field values.

Now, another thing we'll need to address to get you up in running with our update is to support Box url scheme. Is the application schema `box://`? We will have to whitelist this on our end in order for the iOS data detectors to show it as a link. I'll bring this up with the team and see if we can get it added in for our update.

Thanks,

Joel

EricPhillips3
New Contributor III

Joel thank you so much for the responses and looking to potentially have Box added to the whitelist during this cominrelease. Seems like a really supportive team for the app. I am looking forward to potentially deploying a new project with Explorer supporting our workflows. Yes I currently use desktop, although also have pro available. Generally I configure data in desktop to a map in AGOL, where sometimes I edit the data attribution table to test different URLs and deep links. URLs work in AGOL, while deep link ive been unable to resolve. Neither URL or deep-link have resolved for me in Explorer.

Box schema to be added to the white list is as follows: boxapp://

box:// also opens the app, but appears insufficient in functionality from my testing.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Carl,

What are you seeing for a URL in the popup Explorer is displaying? There is a known issue where the URL is being truncated or missing fields like Tim suggested. There was an underlying issue that was blocking us from fixing this. We have made it a high priority and are hoping to get this resolved in an update.

Also, just a fyi, but I'm unsure if the `itemid` parameter will work for you. In other apps these parameters are case sensitive and by looking at Survey123's doc (Integrate with other apps—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS ) it appears they are looking for an 'itemID'.

Thanks,

Joel