Personal or File Geodatabase

Jump to solution
07-18-2017 08:27 AM
FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

I have inherited a project that uses Nomads with ArcPad to collect point data. I have limited ArcPad knowledge, so I have been reading the material available online. In "How to: Check Out/In data from ArcMap to ArcPad for editing," it specifies to use a personal geodatabase. Is there a specific reason for this or is a file geodatabase equally, or possibly more advantageous? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are referring to How To: Check Out/In data from ArcMap to ArcPad for editing , just to let you know, the article is valid for ArcPad 7.x.

File Geodatabase was introduced with ArcGIS 9.2. So I believe you can use File GDB as well if you are working with ArcGIS/ArcPad 9.2.x or later.

Think Location

View solution in original post

9 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

We still output our ArcPad collection to shape files, but it is an older app (still running on 7.1.1) and our post processing is still setup to process them. This project only happens every 2-5 years, so when I work on the project I pick and choose what to update (if it ain't broken...). 

My post-collection scripts process the shapes and convert them to features classes in a file GDB.  In general, that isbetter format for maintaining and working with the data in the future, in my opinion.  But if you program is working, I wouldn't change it.

Are you needing to check out/in data?  Or is is collection only.  That could make a difference too.

It would help to know what version of ArcPad you are using.  I am not personally familiar with the Nomads, so can't offer any advice there other than making sure that it is compatible with the version you are using.

File GDB's in

0 Kudos
FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

I am using ArcGIS 10.2.2, and ArcPad 10.2. I do need to check them in, and I have had significant difficulties. I'm itemizing the troubleshooting. I am using file geodatabases, and wanted to make sure there wasn't something specific about the personal geodatabases that could be contributing to the problems. 

From this I realize that the file geodatabases are not the issue. Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are referring to How To: Check Out/In data from ArcMap to ArcPad for editing , just to let you know, the article is valid for ArcPad 7.x.

File Geodatabase was introduced with ArcGIS 9.2. So I believe you can use File GDB as well if you are working with ArcGIS/ArcPad 9.2.x or later.

Think Location
FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

That is exactly the document, and that completely answers my question. You don't by chance know of where more current ArcPad documentation would be? I have the PDF of ArcPad help from 2011, but would still like something more recent. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For ArcPad 10.2, You could download it from ArcPad 10.2 Help PDF 

Think Location
StephenQuan1
Esri Contributor

Faith documentation is always included with your installed version of ArcPad. The most current version of ArcPad has it's help also available online, click here on ArcPad Help 

FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

I have found that the PDF is much easier to navigate and read when trying to go through the entire document. I feel like the help from the ArcPad app is great for a reminder, but I'm trying to familiarize myself with the ins and outs. I appreciate your input. that is also a very good resource 

StephenQuan1
Esri Contributor

Faith, we made that ArcPad Help PDF and shared it through ArcGIS Online as an experiment.

We have not kept that item up to date with the latest content. Having said that, I noticed that Google's search engine has indexed it so many people can find it.

I'll make a note for us to do something to futureproof it.

0 Kudos
FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

That is great. I appreciate the PDF, and the support Esri provides. I will keep that in mind when reading through the PDF. 

Thank you

0 Kudos