How to make thematic maps

07-19-2017 01:47 PM
ChristopherJones-Carey
New Contributor

I need to make some thematic maps that show a 5, 10, and 15 minute drive time demographics for population density, and one for income levels.  And I need to make a map that shows alcohol beverage spending levels.  I know these can be done through esri or arcgis, so would you be able to help me out?  I’m brand new to the software.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

first question.... do you have the Network Analyst Extension? Main link and tutorial

Then there are basic tutorials here...

Once you have a grasp on these, then details can be worked out

0 Kudos
ChristopherJones-Carey
New Contributor

I’m not sure if I have the Network Analyst Extension… I downloaded the trail of ArcGIS pro desktop, so I have whatever comes with that. Where would I look to see if I have this extension?

Christopher Jones-Carey

Office Administrator

Christopher.Carey@FranklinSt.com<mailto:Christopher.Carey@FranklinSt.com>

Franklin Street

7751 Belfort Parkway, Suite 110 | Jacksonville, FL 32256

Office: 904.271.4120 ext. 812 | Fax: 904.899.5890

Direct: 904.899.0312 | Cell: 813.998.4546

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

go to the Customize menu, select Extensions... if the Network Analyst is there, check it on

0 Kudos
ChristopherJones-Carey
New Contributor

I don’t see a customize menu, however under ”licensing”, it does have a “Yes” next to network analyst.

Christopher Jones-Carey

Office Administrator

Franklin Street

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

sorry, you are right.... I use both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro... same idea, different mechanics

0 Kudos
ChristopherJones-Carey
New Contributor

Right. So up till now I’ve been using ReGIS, and all you have to do is type in a location you wish to be a centerpoint by either typing in the address or lat/long coordinates. From there you can describe what you want (1,3,5 mile rings or 5, 10, 15 min drive time, etc.) under a thematics tab and also specify if you wish to see population density or Income levels. This is what I am trying to do in ArcGIS. Can you help me?

Christopher Jones-Carey

Office Administrator

Franklin Street

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

so... that must be specialized software... not going to happen that way at all in Pro

0 Kudos
ChristopherJones-Carey
New Contributor

Right I got that as soon as I started exploring ArcGIS. But there is a way to pick a specific point on a map and get demographic info around that point. So, can you assist me?

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you would have to have the demographic data already loaded, then you could use the Infographics tool when the Map tab is active... it consumes credits and may be close to what you want.  otherwise, if you just click on the map, you will get information returned for the first layer in the map's table of contents or however you have selection options set up.

0 Kudos