How to Push a Geocoded Point to the End of a Parcel

07-20-2017 10:32 AM
JuliaWolanski1
New Contributor

I am trying to geocode for trees based on addresses. Basically I need the points to show up at the end of the parcel as opposed to the center (trees don't grow in the middle of houses). I have tried using the 'Side Offset' function in my ArcMap desktop (10.5) but this seems to confuse the program and a number of the points that were regularly geocoded disappear and nothing slides to the end of the parcel. 

The geocoder I built uses building parcels and the 'General- Single Field' style. It works excellently until you try to offset anything. I have also tried this with street center lines (US Addresses- Dual Ranges) but this doesn't work as well. The image below shows in orange the parcel geocoded sites and the blue is the street geocoded sites. 

I am not opposed to writing code for this, but would like to see if there was an option to do this in the ArcMap geocoder tools before I went too far. Thanks so much for the help!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Julia:

The side offset setting only applies to address locators based on the Dual Ranges and One Range styles that use lines as reference data. It would not apply to a locator that was based on points or polygons, which is the reference data used by the General - SingleField and General - Gazetteer styles. If you knew the distance and direction of the tree from the address or center of the parcel you could use spatial offset to search for the address as described in this help topic. About finding an address—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos