How do I use a mosaic dataset as an elevation surface in ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
07-21-2017 07:37 AM
DavidRushton2
New Contributor II

Hello all,

I'm trying to use a mosaic dataset as an elevation surface in ArcGIS Pro, but it doesn't seem to work. The layers that I drape on this elevation surface just appear flat. Does anyone have any hints for this?

Many thanks,

David

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I just followed the steps but not added a new surface, but added an Elevation Source to the default "Ground" definition and removed the reference to the default surface service:

Before (less detail):

After adding my mosaic data source (more detail):

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

David -

Yes, you can use a Mosaic Dataset as an elevation surface in Pro.  A couple things...

1. In the Scene properties, click Elevation Surface and Add a New Surface -> your MDS.
  2. Remove the Esri Elevation Service by clicking the red X next to it in the first Elevation Sources and Click OK.
  3. In your 2D and 3D layers, go to the layer properties of each and select Elevation.  For Features are: select "On a Custom Elevation Surface and select your Mosaic Dataset.
  4. Your 2D and 3D features should no loner be flat as it were.
  5. With this being said, my MDS is still flat as well so I just turned it off and used the Basemaps in 3D.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Robert

0 Kudos
DavidRushton2
New Contributor II

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the instructions. Unfortunately, I followed all of those steps already and I got the same result as you – a flat MDS! I’m working on an offshore dataset, so I can’t revert to the basemaps for use, and the data was specifically acquired to provide elevation (or rather depths) so I would like to use them if possible.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I'll do some more digging around and get back to you...hopefully I can find a solution for you.

0 Kudos
DavidRushton2
New Contributor II

Thanks Robert, that would be really great

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

I just followed the steps but not added a new surface, but added an Elevation Source to the default "Ground" definition and removed the reference to the default surface service:

Before (less detail):

After adding my mosaic data source (more detail):

DavidRushton2
New Contributor II

Robert, Xander, thanks for the responses. I tried this again this morning, I followed the steps again and this time it worked!

Best regards,

David

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Glad it worked!

0 Kudos