Can ArcGIS Server feature services be taken offline in Collector?

Jump to solution
07-22-2017 05:21 AM
DavidTinning
New Contributor II

Is there any way that an editable feature service published through ArcGIS server can be taken offline for editing within Collector for ArcGIS?

Having tested our current set up I see that the editbale feature service can be viewed in ArcGIS online and added to a web map. The web map containing the feature service can be viewed in Collector and edits made to the feature service. All great, however the map cannot be downloaded for offline use. 

I assume it is not possible to take the service offline by using Collector through ArcGIS online.

Is there an alternative? Perhaps having a Portal that links to ArcGIS Server?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

David,

It is possible, to publish service form enterprise database to ArcGIS Server and then consume it in AGOL. 

ArcGIS Server web services—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Add items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

I hope this helps!

~Shan

~Shan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

Under the Feature Layer's Settings, verify that "Enable Sync (disconnected editing with synchronization)" is checked.

And in the Web Map's Settings, there is a check box to "Enable offline mode."

0 Kudos
DavidTinning
New Contributor II

Thanks Randy. The feature service is published through ArcGIS Server rather than ArcGIS Online. Adding the service to the webmap causes the "Enable offline mode" check box to disappear (i.e. disabling offline mode).

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

David,

What kind of a database are you using? Is it File Geodatabase or Enterprise Database?

Offline maps and versioned data—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Publish a feature service from ArcMap—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Prepare data for offline use—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Prepare maps for offline use—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Go offline—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Please refer these help links and you will get all the answers you are looking for.

I hope this helps!

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
DavidTinning
New Contributor II

Thanks Shan. I'm using an enterprise geodatabase for the editable layers and a file geodatabase for reference layers.

Can you confirm that it should be possible to publish a service through ArcGIS Server, load to an ArcGIS Online Webmap and then download for offline use through Collector?

From reading the docs I wonder if it has to be Portal rather than ArcGIS Online however we do not have Portal set up to test this. 

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

David,

It is possible, to publish service form enterprise database to ArcGIS Server and then consume it in AGOL. 

ArcGIS Server web services—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Add items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

I hope this helps!

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
DavidTinning
New Contributor II

Thanks again Shan. I'm making progress and have been able to download for offline use an ArcGIS Online webmap containing an editable ArcGIS Server feature service. 

However, when testing by making an offline edit and then syncing the map, the sync appears successful and no error messages are received but the edits made do not get pushed back to the SDE feature class as I would assume they should. 

The feature service has the following capabilities:Create,Delete,Query,Sync,Update,Uploads,Editing

Have this workflow been successful for you?

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

Are you using SQL or Oracle DB? The feature which you are editing in offline is it versioned?

~Shan
0 Kudos
ChrisCzerwinski
New Contributor III

Hi @DavidTinning Do you remember what steps you took to make progress here?  I don't even need to be able to edit the ArcGIS Server feature service, but I do need to be able to take it offline with an ArcGIS Online webmap in collector.  Sounds like I'm running into the same issue as you.  
Thanks

0 Kudos
DavidTinning
New Contributor II

We use SQL Server. Yes, the features are registered as versioned within the SDE. 

0 Kudos