mosaics created using ArcMap 10.5 cannot be opened with previous versions?

07-25-2017 08:49 AM
FranklinAlexander
Occasional Contributor III

I have recently upgraded to ArcMap 10.5 and created several mosaic datasets using this version. Other people in our office, however, who are still using previous versions of ArcMap are getting the following errors when trying to open the mosaics:

"Error opening mosaic dataset"

----and----

"Could not add the specified data object to the map"

I make it a practice to put all mosaics I create in a version 10.0 Geodatabase to account for any compatibility issues, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Does anyone know what could be causing this and what the work-around might be?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

When you right-click on the file gdb where the 10.5 RMD is stored, is the Upgrade Geodatabase button grayed out at the bottom of the General tab?

Do you know how to check for the version of the RMD?  I do not see any information about this myself.

0 Kudos
FranklinAlexander

Yes, it's grayed out. I checked at least 10 other Geodatabases from projects dating back the last two years which were created using at least 2 other ArcMap versions and all of them are grayed out. As far as I know, no one has had any issues pulling the data into ArcMap and most of the mosaics are referenced by derived mosaics which are in turn part of the overall state of Florida cached imagery. The issue only seems to be occurring in the mosaics created using 10.5.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Two questions:

Do you build ArcGIS Server image services from these RMDs?

Do you still have a machine with an older version of ArcMap to build new RMDs until all other people in your office are upgraded?

0 Kudos
FranklinAlexander

Only from the satellite imagery, but the issues I am having lately have been with aerial imagery and lidar. I can't find anything about this online, probably because 10.5 hasn't been out that long, so I may just wait until my boss gets back from vacation and have him put in a support request with esri. I was just hoping someone else was having the same issue and could shed some light. 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I seem to be running into a related issue.  I have an RMD that has been in use for years in v10.3.1 as the basis for an associated image service.  I did not modifiy this RMD in 10.5.1 (just viewed its properties), but I am getting the error message "Error opening mosaic dataset" as well as errors with the AGS image service.

As such, what operation on an RMD in ArcCatalog 10.5.1 would upgrade an RMD?

I do recall in a previous upgrade years ago when going from either 9.3 to 10.0 or 10.0 to 10.2, that if I opened the Description tab of a lyr file in the higher version, I was unable to use that lyr file in a lower version of the software as viewing the Description somehow upgraded the lyr file.  The RMD seems to be working in the same way here, so it appears you cannot view the Description of the RMD in the higher version of the software without upgrading the RMD.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

May want to review this idea: https://community.esri.com/ideas/13252 

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Franklin:

What type of format is your imagery in for the RMDs that were created in an earlier version than 10.5?

I did not make any changes to existing RMDs created in 10.3.1, but it looks like the simple act of viewing the properties of the RMDs in 10.5.1 upgraded the RMDs (so they are unusable for existing 10.3.1 desktop users and services).  Can't say this 100%, but it looks like this is more of a problem for imagery in SID format than in tif format.

0 Kudos
FranklinAlexander

Michael,

The aerial imagery we get is typically in tiff or sid format. I haven't tried generating a mosaic in tiff format yet, maybe I will give that a try just to see what happens. I had a similar experience as you, in that I calculated some fields for a mosaic that someone else created on an older version of ArcMap, and afterwards they could no longer import the mosaic into their version of ArcMap. It's hard to find out anything about this since 10.5 is still new, and I guess not many people are running into this yet. 

0 Kudos
ScottDavis
Occasional Contributor

I'm experiencing this same issue. Upgrading is not an option at the moment. Is there any work around?

0 Kudos