ESRI Basemaps slow to load and redraw in ArcMap 10.3

07-26-2017 05:37 PM
HeatherSavage
New Contributor III

Users that I work with are having problems using ESRI's ArcOnline Basemaps (specifically World Imagery Basemap) because the load and redraw rates are very slow.  I have had them switch to the same coordinate system as the basemap (WGS 1984 Web Mercator, Auxiliary Sphere) and this usually resolves the problem.  However, most of our working data is in Alaska Albers Equal Area Conic, and some users find WGS 1984 difficult to deal with in very high latitude areas (north slope) due to distortion.  Are there any other suggested solutions for speeding up redraw rates?

Tags (1)
11 Replies
deleted-user-Yo2nEyVX5Kjk
New Contributor III

Heather,

Maybe we should set up some Albers projection basemaps. Which ones do you use regularly?

HeatherSavage
New Contributor III

That would be great if you could do that.  We use the World Imagery basemap most frequently.  We also occasionally use the Topographic basemap.  The Clarity map would be good to have in Albers as well if it becomes available for Alaska.

Thanks for your help, Erin.

CharleyPalmer1
New Contributor III

For a specific area, would it be possible to try the World Imagery (for Export)?

HeatherSavage
New Contributor III

We're trying that right now.  The sites of interest are rather spread out though, so it would have to be several specific areas/maps. 

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Just curious if you compared the new esri Wolrd Imagery with the new AGC/SDMI imagery?  I know we don't have the clarity feature, but it is easier to cache the local AGC data in Alaska Albers.  Once cache locally, it is easy to share the cache with others that are (licensed) in the AGC and the cache can be used direct, bipassing the need for the service/internet.  I cached this last year, but just received the 2016 data so working on updating a cache.  Also, we (AGC member) should be able to get this data as a service in Albers, but I haven't pursued it yet (and didn't see it provided yet)

HeatherSavage
New Contributor III

Yes, the ESRI World Imagery that came out in June is higher resolution and more current for the areas of interest, so they prefer to use that.  We do have a tile package of the SDMI imagery that we've been using with Collector, however, which generally works well enough for fieldwork.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Good to know. 

0 Kudos
RyanNosek
Occasional Contributor II

For users in ArcMap consuming ArcGIS Online Basemaps it may help if they set the mxd Map Scales to use "ArcGIS Online / Bing Maps / Google Maps" scales. 

Click on Map Scales -> "customize this list" -> "Load" -> select "ArcGIS Online / Bing Maps / Google Maps".

Also make sure to Check on "Only display these scales when zooming". 

Imagery was pretty quick to load when I panned around AK after changing these settings.

Not sure if this will help, but it might!

CharleyPalmer1
New Contributor III

FYI - For ArcGIS Pro users (testers), it doesn't seem to make a difference.

0 Kudos