How can I set Construct Sight Lines within a specific Distance?

07-28-2017 08:42 AM
BrendanBlee
New Contributor II

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to make a model that uses the construct sight lines tool to create links within a network but I need to somehow limit the distance that tool can connect to each other point. For example only connecting to points within 100 miles and excluding the other ones outside that range. I was trying to use the select by location tool but I'm working with CSV data and it wouldn't let me use it. Is there another way I can go about limiting the search distance of the construct sight lines tool itself? I also, tried messing with the sampling distance to no effect. I have attached a SS of my model. 

Best,

Brendan 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Select By Location should work, assuming the points are specified in the correct coordinate system (XY fields are usually in geographic.)  You may want to use the Project tool to put the points into a equidistant coordinate system (UTM will work fine if the area does not span zones, but you will need to use something else for larger extents).

BrendanBlee
New Contributor II

To use the CSV data with the select by attributes/location tools I had to run the CSV data through the Make X,Y Event Layer Tool, Copy Features, and Make Feature Layer Tool.  To limit the sight lines I had to use a series of selects and joins and finally a delete tool to remove in-between connections that were too long.