Problems Using RMDs, Created in 10.3.1 then Viewed in10.5.1, in 10.3.1 Again

07-26-2017 12:04 PM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I did not think it would be a big deal either, but I just checked the properties of RMDs in ArcCatalog in 10.5.1 and after that I was unable to access the RMD in ArcCatalog and the 10.3.1 image service connected to the RMD no longer works.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I looked using 10.5.0 and it worked.  Working on upgrading to 10.5.1 on this test machine and will get back to you.

edit: may be a couple hours...taking a while for the upgrade and I'm heading to a meeting...so after that.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Try viewing the RMD that you looked at in 10.5.1 on a 10.3.1 or whatever lower version machine you have in production and see if it still works.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

mvolz47  My RMD's (in a file GDB format) were created using 10.2.2 and the services are the same.  I am able to view bot the Mosaic Dataset and the services using ArcCatalog from 10.2.2, 10.3.1,10.5.0, and 10.5.1 (never installed 10.4.x). 

This is a good exercise for me to make sure our RMDs are compatible.  I only looked using ArcCatalog (not ArcMap) and I have not tried to make a ArcGIS Server 10.5.1 image server, since that isn't installed yet.

When on the 10.5.1 machine and looking at the .gdb properties, the "Upgrade Status" says "This 10 Geodatabase matches the ArcGIS Release your are currently using.", so my guess is the format is the same between them.

Just to make sure it didn't auto-update to 10.5.1, I opened up my 10.2.2 ArcCatalog and all is still fine.  The "upgrade status"  for that version is also ok...but does not have the "10" in the message.

Is it possible that your mosaic hasn't been upgraded to the 10.2.x version yet?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Rebecca:

I'm still not sure what the exact mechanism is that upgraded some of my RMDs to 10.5.1 (still trying to make this determination on copies as I corrupted some production data for 10.3.1 in my original investigation).  I'm thinking it might be when you are in ArcCatalog with the file geodatabase where the RMD in focus, go to the Contents pane and right click on an RMD to access the Properties.  I believe just viewing the Properties of the RMD in this manner with ArcCatalog 10.5 caused the RMD to be upgraded (There are 11 tabs under Properties so it might even be that you have to access a specific tab for the RMD to upgraded - I say this because in the past with lyr files they were upgraded to a later version if you went into the Description tab where the metadata was auto-updated - No problem using the Content or Preview tabs though).

Do you have your RMDs all in 1 file gdb?

Do you dedicate a file gdb per RMD?

I'm just trying to see why my environment is working much differently (worse) than your environment.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Michael, since this is getting a bit off topic now from the OP, you may want to go up to your July 26 comment and use the Branch option under Options.  I think that will move all the comments under it.  Then I think you can modify the actual question to make it more specific to the issue.    I'm a moderator for this site, so I think I can do it if you can't.

----

Well, this may help diagnose your issue (although not necessarily resolve it)

The process of accessing the RMD properties (and clicking on the 12 tabs) using ArcCatalog 10.5.1 did NOT cause an issue in 10.3.1 ....if the RMD was created using ArcCatalog 10.2.2 or 10.3.1.  Nor did looking at the description.

However,  if I created a new FGDB using 10.5.1 or 10.3.1 and then used 10.5.1 to copy to the new FGDB, 10.3.1 was not able to see it.  "Open Failed.  Error opening mosaic dataset"

To see if I could recover, I created another 10.3.1 FGDB and tried to copy/paste the corrupt 10.5.1 version of the RMD to the 10.3.1  version, but get "Failed to past RGB the table was not found"  (RGB is the mosaic name)

This makes me think that something changed in the fields, so I thought I would compare them.  Using arcpy in 10.5.1, I can list the fields for the 10.3.1 version, but can't even get a list of fields for the mosaic I created in 10.5.1 (getting the dreaded Error: 999999).   (btw -  I didn't know what field attributes might be different, so when printing out the 10.3.1 I did name, length, and isNullable   ...as a start, but there are others.  But it is a moot point right now, since I couldn't even get the 10.5.1 fields.)

m1031 = r'D:\data\_Imagery\test1031.gdb\RGB'
m1031flds = arcpy.ListFields(m1031)
for field in m1031flds:
  print("{}".format(field))
"""    
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x10322D88>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x10322DE8>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x10322F08>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x10322F98>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x10322FC8>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x10322EA8>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x10322ED8>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x10322FE0>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x10322FB0>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x103FB020>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x103FB038>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x103FB050>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x103FB068>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x103FB080>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x103FB098>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x103FB0B0>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x103FB0C8>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x103FB0E0>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x103FB0F8>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x103FB110>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x103FB128>
<geoprocessing describe field object object at 0x103FB140>
"""
for field in m1031flds:
  print("{0} {1} {2}".format(field.name,field.length, field.isNullable))
"""
OBJECTID 4 False
Shape 0 True
Raster 0 True
Name 50 True
MinPS 8 True
MaxPS 8 True
LowPS 8 True
HighPS 8 True
Category 4 True
Tag 20 True
GroupName 50 True
ProductName 50 True
CenterX 8 True
CenterY 8 True
ZOrder 4 True
TypeID 4 True
ItemTS 8 True
UriHash 50 True
Uri 0 True
Thumbnail 0 True
Shape_Length 8 True
Shape_Area 8 True
"""
m1051 = r'D:\data\_Imagery\test1051.gdb'
m1051flds = arcpy.ListFields(m1051)
"""Runtime error 
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.5\arcpy\arcpy\__init__.py", line 1138, in ListFields
     return gp.listFields(dataset, wild_card, field_type)
     File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.5\arcpy\arcpy\geoprocessing\_base.py", line 346, in listFields
          self._gp.ListFields(*gp_fixargs(args, True)))
RuntimeError: ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
>>> m1051 = r'D:\data\_Imagery\test1051.gdb'
>>> m1051flds = arcpy.ListFields(m1051)
Runtime error 
Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
     File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.5\arcpy\arcpy\__init__.py", line 1138, in ListFields
          return gp.listFields(dataset, wild_card, field_type)
     File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.5\arcpy\arcpy\geoprocessing\_base.py", line 346, in listFields
          self._gp.ListFields(*gp_fixargs(args, True)))
RuntimeError: ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
"""

Is this a bug??  Or an "as-designed"?   I think at this point it is probably worth putting in a tech support ticket. 

However, my thought at this point for when I make the move to use either the OS to copy the FGDB/RMD folder when moving to a new machine, or ArcCatalog 10.3.1.  I'm not sure if you are on a new machine and maybe used 10.5.1 to copy or not, but that might be the cause.  It seems the FGDBs are compatible, but a 10.5.1 copy does something to the RMD if created of copied using 10.5.1.

Now the question is can it be "saved back" to the previous version.  That would be good to know.

This may not resolve your issue, but might give you more info when talking with tech support.  I am very interested in what they have to say too.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Rebecca:

It looks like the issue is specific to my organization's data as no other GIS users are seeing this behavior and ESRI tech support was not able to duplicate my issue.  It looks like the RMDs that have been around for 5 years in the same file gdb have become corrupted and are sensitive to being viewed (no changes) in an upgraded environment.  As such, the plan is to build a new file gdb and recreate the RMDs at 10.3.1 before performing the GIS upgrade.

0 Kudos
MarkMindlin
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

We have noticed the similar issue:

Steps to reproduce:

- in ArcCatalog 10.3.1, create file geodatabase, create mosaic dataset, add raster jp2 to the mosaic dataset.

- in ArcMap 10.3.1, add data i.e. the mosaic dataset, make sure it works, remove data.

- in ArcMap 10.5.1, add data i.e. the mosaic dataset, open Footprint layer attribute table, start editing, edit field MinPS to value 1, save edits, stop editing, close the app.

- in ArcMap 10.3.1, try to add data i.e. the mosaic dataset, make sure an error message appears "Error opening mosaic dataset"

0 Kudos