How do I filter a postcode dataset to find a subset of data from a specific set of postcodes in an excel

07-28-2017 04:21 AM
EllenWildig
New Contributor III

Hi, so I have a full post/zipcode dataset of over 1,000,000 features. However I want to filter out and consider only about 1500 of them. These postcodes have no common attribute but the exact postcode is in both the attribute table for the full dataset shapefile and in a column of the excel table. Could it be done by adding a column to the excel table populated with a one, attribute joining the table to the shapefile then filtering the shapefile by the 'one' attribute. Then I could create a new layer based on the selection? Not exaclty sure that would work, but if anyone has a solution or tweaks it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Maybe you should export the Excel table to a ArcGIS format (like a FileGeodatabase table, see Excel To Table—Conversion toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop ), define a relate (see Add Relate—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop ) between the ZIP code features and the list of ZIP code you want to use, select the features in the table with the ZIP code to use and propagate the selecting into the ZIP code features (View related data—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop ) and export the selection.

0 Kudos