ArcGIS Earth - 'You must have a basemap terrain configured in a portal to see elevation'.

08-01-2017 04:54 AM
AdrienHafner
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I've looked through the little help documentation on ArcGIS Earth I was able to find online, and I'm not seeing how to resolve this error in there.  I'm connecting to ArcGIS Earth through our Portal site (which is version 10.5.1), rather than through ArcGIS Online.   I've noticed when I go to add a basemap or terrain within the ArcGIS Earth application, I'm only shown custom-curated content, not the ArcGIS Online-hosted basemap content that I'm used to seeing in ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro and Portal for ArcGIS.  Why is this?  Is there something I'm missing?  Where are the topography, imagery, etc basemaps I normally have access to?

Thanks!

Adrien

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Adrien,

Earth can be pointed at a Portal and will look at that portal for basemaps and terrain. I believe that some users have configured their Portal to pass through the basemaps from Online and, if so, then Earth should use these.

There are two possible things happening here:

1. Your portal does not have an elevation surface set up.

2. Your portal does have an elevation surface set up but Earth is looking for WMA or WGS 84 GCS content and the surface is in the other format.

Let us know if this helps.

Chris

0 Kudos