Cascading Webmap App Series?

Jump to solution
07-31-2017 01:53 PM
NiclaosAlmonor
New Contributor

Does anyone have any experience in creating and combining the functions of different application templates? For example I want to create a cascading Web Apps application that would have the functionality of both the shortlist and the photo crowdsource maps and possibly another web mapping application...

Essentially i am trying to make a Frankenstein of a couple of different app templates that my customers here at work want have.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Niclaos

You can embed a story map into another story map. For example you can embed another story into a Cascade so it becomes content in your Cascade story. See this FAQ for more info: Frequently Asked Questions | Story Maps  

If you are a developer or work with one, you could also download the source code for our apps and customize it to add additional functionality to try and present info the way you describe, but that would be quite involved.

I think in general we'd recommend not attempting to combine too many different user interfaces in one story. For example if a reader is scrolling through a Cascade story, they may be confused to suddenly come across a story embedded in that Cascade that works a different way. So we'd advise to not over-user embedded stories. Embedding stories in stories can also complicate the user interface that people see on mobile devices. because those stories will each have their own responsive layout on mobile.

If you have a lot of information to present, a better approach may be keep those stories separate and simply assemble them as links, with accompanying screenshots, on a web page or gallery. Your users would open that page or gallery and then choose which story they want to read. So in general we'd advise not to try and combine everything into one big meta-story.

Anyone else with other thoughts, please feel free to post here.

Rupert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Niclaos

You can embed a story map into another story map. For example you can embed another story into a Cascade so it becomes content in your Cascade story. See this FAQ for more info: Frequently Asked Questions | Story Maps  

If you are a developer or work with one, you could also download the source code for our apps and customize it to add additional functionality to try and present info the way you describe, but that would be quite involved.

I think in general we'd recommend not attempting to combine too many different user interfaces in one story. For example if a reader is scrolling through a Cascade story, they may be confused to suddenly come across a story embedded in that Cascade that works a different way. So we'd advise to not over-user embedded stories. Embedding stories in stories can also complicate the user interface that people see on mobile devices. because those stories will each have their own responsive layout on mobile.

If you have a lot of information to present, a better approach may be keep those stories separate and simply assemble them as links, with accompanying screenshots, on a web page or gallery. Your users would open that page or gallery and then choose which story they want to read. So in general we'd advise not to try and combine everything into one big meta-story.

Anyone else with other thoughts, please feel free to post here.

Rupert

0 Kudos