download many txt files from web

08-01-2017 03:32 PM
Labels (2)
EthanDavis2
New Contributor

Hi,

I need to download several hundred txt files from the web that contain information on forest loss (Global Forest Change ).  After I get the forest loss downloaded I need to repeat for forest gain.  Each txt file contains information for a 10 deg tile, with several hundred tiles covering the globe.  The website containing the data does give a link to the URL for each txt file/tile, https://storage.googleapis.com/earthenginepartners-hansen/GFC-2015-v1.3/loss.txt , but, I don't know how to download all of these at once using either the ArcMap GUI or Python code.  I don't have Python code experience, but am an experienced user with the GUI.  There are too many tiles to individually download in a timely manner for both forest loss and gain.

I am using ArcMap 10.2 for Desktop.

Once I have the files downloaded, I am fine with batch converting from txt to raster.

I just haven't had to handle so many files at once before--global coverage at 30m resolution.  I am hoping to write code so ArcMap can download the data from the web, or, that there is an existing tool in the Toolbox.  I would prefer an existing tool in the Toolbox but can definitely learn if need be--I have some experience in R, though not with this issue.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
0 Replies