Short List Locations Update

Jump to solution
08-08-2017 03:19 PM
MeleKoneya
Occasional Contributor III

I am using the Short List Beta Story Map to show construction projects.   

I started with using an ArcGIS Map Service in a Web Map.     This allowed me to specify what fields in the Feature Layer I wanted to use,  but once the Short List wizard completed it created a new web map with a copy of my data that was no longer editable which will be a problem as we want to edit and delete items.

I then changed my approach to use a CSV uploaded to a web map using the Short List schema.    This allows me to remove the layer in the web map and then re-import the CSV to update the data.

This latter option seems to work pretty well for updating the points but has some limitations in that I can't edit the text or add links or format the text once I load the CSV. 

How are others working around this situation?

I understand that I can download a copy of the older Short List app and customize it more,  but my preference would be to to use AGOL to host it.

Thanks,

Mele

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkCooney

Hi Mele,

The first workflow you described with importing your data will allow you to edit, add, and delete features.  To edit existing features, just click on the feature, and edit it's information inline in the detail panel on the left.  To delete or move features to another tab, use the 'Organize' button in the feature tile view to do so.

If using the 'As-Is' workflow described in your attempt with the CSV, there is not a way to edit the features in the Shortlist builder, but rather the edits need to be done in another client of your choice.  Any changes made there will be automatically reflected in your Shortlist the next time it is loaded.

Mark

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MarkCooney

Hi Mele,

The first workflow you described with importing your data will allow you to edit, add, and delete features.  To edit existing features, just click on the feature, and edit it's information inline in the detail panel on the left.  To delete or move features to another tab, use the 'Organize' button in the feature tile view to do so.

If using the 'As-Is' workflow described in your attempt with the CSV, there is not a way to edit the features in the Shortlist builder, but rather the edits need to be done in another client of your choice.  Any changes made there will be automatically reflected in your Shortlist the next time it is loaded.

Mark

RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, the Shortlist 'as-is' workflow, which uses your data 'as-is' in the app (assuming it matches the required schema) is designed for users who want to do all of their place update and management via the web map/data layer, rather than in the Shortlist Builder. So if you have published your Shortlist via this workflow, you'd make changes to your Shortlist by either editing the data in the web map you are using, or replacing that layer with an updated one. For more info, please see: Frequently Asked Questions | Story Maps 

Rupert