ArcMap crashes when selecting elements

08-08-2017 06:14 AM
JamesHarrington
New Contributor III

Hello -

I have a recurring problem with map files.  In Layout view, when I select multiple elements by dragging a box, I get the dialog 'ArcMap has stopped working'. Sometimes this happens when selecting a single element or resizing an element.

I've had limited success in fixing it, usually by re-creating the map from scratch, and copying the layers and elements from the bad map file.

Any ideas why this happens, and what can be done to prevent or remedy it?

thanks,

james

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

First, try Resetting your ArcGIS application profile

If the issue still persists, try 

Disconnecting the attached printers from the system hosting ArcMap.

Think Location
JamesHarrington
New Contributor III

Thank you-

I found the problem. There was a layout element that was composed of multiple elements in a group that was causing the problem. I re-created it and replaced it. Not sure what was causing the shut down with the original element..

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

James, it would help to mark this thread as "answered" to close it out (either "assumed answered" or mark your response as the correct response).

0 Kudos
JamesHarrington
New Contributor III

I don’t see any way to do this

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

James, in the original post, you should see this option:

In your response, you should see this option:

0 Kudos
JamesHarrington
New Contributor III

I do not see either of those

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

James,

That is really bizarre. I would ask if you are logged in but I would assume you would have to be logged in in order to post back to this thread.

CCatania-esristaff‌, could there be a bug with James not being able to see the "answer" options?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm not a moderator in this space, but a moderator can do it for you and I'll tag CCatania-esristaff‌  in case no one else is able to do it before he can.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You won't see it in inbox. Open the thread (https://community.esri.com/thread/199554-arcmap-crashes-when-selecting-elements )in a new tab. Then you will be able to mark the answer as correct.

Think Location
0 Kudos