Converting points to lines but maintaining attributes of the points.

08-08-2017 04:31 PM
JohnDialesandro
New Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a set of points that are gps points a plugin hybrid vehicle has traveled. There are a set of attributes such as speed, battery power, etc for each point that I would like to maintain when i convert the points to a line feature class. Is there a way to do this? When I use the points to line conversion tool I get just one polyline that is has not maianitained the attributes of the points.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!

John  

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you have the appropriate license level you can segment the polyline at the nodes, then join the attributes to the segments.  A 'relate' to the polyline will lose the sequential information.  Ideally, you could segment/densify the 2 point line segments and join to that as well.

On the flip side... join the polyline to the points... makes more sense to me since it is the point information that is more important

JohnDialesandro
New Contributor II

Thank you Dan!

By applying this method would one be able to claualte slope for a sgeemnt that was between two points on the line. For exmaple if say the line was joined to 46 points could the slope of the road between point 2 and 3 be calculated?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you can get Z values for the points and distance between them, then... yes.  But you haven't indicated the nature of your polyline/road.  I am guessing that it isn't a polylineZ feature or you would be able to do it already.  You might want to show a picture of the data that you have.  If you have points with elevations, then it would make more sense  just to use the points to determine slope's between them, assuming you can sequentially order them relative to the road

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

In addition to Elevation beings stored in a Polyline Z, you can make it a Polyline ZM and store a numeric time index on each point in its M value.  This lets you to create point or line segment events on the road based on time indexes expressed as a number and allows you to interpolate the time at any point along the line.  Given any segment, you can calculate the speed of travel based on 2D distances.  With some coding you can get speed values based on 3D distances.  Alternatively the M value can store 3D lengths using my Add-In which allows you to use 3D distance measure values for any line segment event or for 2D line segments overlaid on the Route,  Measures could also be used for battery power levels at each vertex, although the measures are unlikely to be unique or always ascending, which is typical for Route measures.  Basically any numeric value representing any attribute of your points can be stored in the M coordinate of a Polyline M or Polyline ZM.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I am looking to do exactly this but wish there was a more streamlined way of doing this. @RichardFairhurst , have you looked into making your add-in Pro-compatible?

0 Kudos