Configuration Keywords in SDE Geodatabase

08-14-2017 11:40 AM
PamelaLocke1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,  I am trying to understand configuration Keywords a little better and how they play a roll in GDB set up/function.  I understand the difference between the GEOGRAPHY and GEOMETRY configuration keywords in that the geography keyword will store data using lat/long coordinates systems, and geometry will use projected coordinate systems.   

1.  I have an SDE Geodatabase that I inherited from my predecessor at work and it looks like both GEOGRAPHY and GEOMETRY keywords were set up in this geodatabase (see attachment).  Is this ok? Or does that just mean that some feature classes within the gdb use the geography config. keyword and some use the geometry config. keyword? 

2.   What is the best way to check what configuration keywords were used when importing feature classes from one geodatabase to another?  

3.  Is there a way to make sure all feature classes in a geodatabase use the Geometry Keyword?

Thanks!

Pamela

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

It is always helpful if you provide your configuration details:

1. Version of SDE geodatabase

2. Database version (example: SQL Server 2012)

Most of your questions are answered on the Web Help links:

SQL Server data types supported in ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

SQL Server spatial types and ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

1. Both Geometry and Geography are pre-configured using Default settings, when an Enterprise geodatabase is created

2. Check the Feature Class properties. (R-click on a fc > Properties > 'General' tab)

3. The below is by default. So unless you specify otherwise while creating\loading data, the data should be in Geometry. 

By default, geodatabases in SQL Server use the geometry type.

VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Actually, your initial understanding is inaccurate (or at least incomplete). GEOGRAPHY stores LONGITUDE/LATITUDE data (X,Y order), and GEOMETRY stores geographic or projected coordinate system data (the exact coordinate system defined by the SRID assigned to the geometry). GEOGRAPHY has limits on extent (antipodal distance) that make GEOMETRY desirable even when the data is geographic (e.g., WGS 1984)

As Asrujit indicated, the keyword availability doesn't indicate data in both formats is present (in fact, it could be present even if the keywords weren't), keywords are a metadata property of tables created by ArcGIS (but because Query Layers can exist that aren't registered, the table properties of GEOGRAPHY data might not indicate a GEOGRAPHY keyword), and finally, a GEOMETRY keyword isn't required to create a GEOMETRY-based table (it could be any other keyword, or it could have GEOGRAPHY which was altered to create GEOMETRY tables). Basically, you can't rely upon the keyword if you haven't been the one in charge of all table creations.

- V

PamelaLocke1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Vince that does clarify some things for me!  

0 Kudos