Raster Projecting Incorrectly

08-17-2017 03:03 PM
GlendaWyatt
New Contributor

My map is in NAD1983 UTM Zone 9N.  I am importing a raster that (when opened on it's own) looks fine and is in WGS84.  When I add the raster to my map, it projects incorrectly.  Any suggestions on how to start resolving this would be greatly appreciated.  The raster was exported from Q.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

check the raster properties, and report the extent so that the extent can be compared with what the projection is supposed to be. 

Add this layer to a new data frame... Do NOT add a base map... check the properties of the data frame

Continue to add other layers.

If the extent and projection information in step 1 aren't good, then there are other things that need to be done

0 Kudos
GlendaWyatt
New Contributor

I brought it into a new blank map.  The extents are:

Left: -0.5

Right: 255.5

Top: 0.5

Bottom: -191.5

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

The raster itself has a longitude range of 0 to 360. Is that what the raster's extent shows? 

Melita

0 Kudos
GlendaWyatt
New Contributor

No.  When I query the extents, they are:

The extents are:

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Project this raster to  NAD1983 UTM Zone 9N, before you add it in your map

using Project Raster—Help | ArcGIS Desktop .

0 Kudos
GlendaWyatt
New Contributor

I tried that and I get a warning

'inconsistent extent' - one or more added layers has an extent that is not consistent with the associated reference information.  Re-projecting the data in such a layer may lead to unexpected behavior.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Read the following link: it has a solution:

Error: One or more of the added layers has an extent not consistent with spatial reference 

Solution or Workaround

The operation that yields this warning has been modified in ArcGIS Version 8.1.2.

To determine if this problem applies to the coordinate range and angular units of your data, do the following:

1. Start ArcCatalog and navigate to the dataset that returns the message.
  2. Click the Metadata tab on the right-hand window.
  3. Click the Spatial tab.

The 'Bounding Coordinates' section lists the extents of the data in decimal degrees. If these extents exceed the range of -180 to 180 (longitude), or -90 to 90 (latitude), the extent not consistent with spatial reference message will erroneously appear when adding this data.
  4. If possible, correct the defined coordinate system for your data (you may need to refer to current metadata for more information).
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

This is just an image extent, 256 cells wide, 190 cells high, it is effectively a picture. Projecting it isn't going to do anything, unless you can give it a defined coordinate system and to make it useful, you would have to know the cell size.  Perhaps you have other files drifting around in the same location as that one... or do you have any metadata? or can you find the original source to fill in the gaps?

GlendaWyatt
New Contributor

I asked this question on another forum and this was a comment that seemed to make sense (with how the data is coming out of Q):
"It's not georeferenced yet. That is, although it has a coordinate system definition of WGS84, the raster extents are in decimal degrees but are in the raw cell numbers. If you check the raster's cell count, you should see 256x192"

0 Kudos