How to extract a time interval from NetCDF-data in ArcMap Desktop 10.4

08-16-2017 03:04 PM
BettinaStoehr
New Contributor

In ArcMap 10.4 (advanced licence) I have added a netcdf-file with EU-temperature-over-time data (time being every day between 1995 to 2016).

I just need the year 2010 from this data, but I'm still struggling to extract this year. I'm new to python, and the only code I found to extract timeslices was accessing a band to extract the slice. It's from the esri support: http://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000011318 . But I can't manage to make a band from the time dimension of my netcdf-file, ArcGIS always crashes somewhere along the way.

I also tried by OPeNDAP-access to get just this one year of data, both downloading it directly from the website as dods, and trying to access the url, directly through the ArcMap tool (make OpENDAP-layer). The download page ( http://opendap.knmi.nl/knmi/thredds/dodsC/e-obs_0.25regular/tn_0.25deg_reg_v15.0.nc.html ) provides the url in a specific slot. But the tool could not connect with the URL, it gives the "error 000241: The specified pathname or file type is invalid for the required input". And I did not find a way to open .dods with ArcMap.

Does anyone know a simple code-snippet I could have a go at editing as a beginner? Or is there a way directly in ArcMap to extract parts of the file? Ore does anyone have a solution to my OPeNDAP-Problems?

Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BettinaStoehr
New Contributor

I can select the right dimension, but that will just display this timeslice in the netcdf-raster, it does not extract a time interval.

As far as I could make out, there tools in the toolbox are to create multidimensional layers (save the select tool, but that's just for display), not extract them. But maybe I've misunderstood?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

'extract'? as in convert to a layer?

0 Kudos
BettinaStoehr
New Contributor

Hm, I don't think so. For example, I can make a rasterlayer from the netcdf-file, then it would contain all the years, and the question would be how to extract simply 2010, or how to condense it down to 2010. But if somebody can recommend a way to extract the data from the netcdf-file directly and then make a rasterlayer from the new file, or any other way to get just the year 2010, that's fine.

Later on I want to add it to a mosaic datalayer and make some spatial analysis, so I will probably have to transform it to a rasterlayer along the way.

At the end I will probably need a point-layer to aggregate it to NUTS2 regions...

0 Kudos