Fail to Draw Error

08-17-2017 01:04 PM
RasheedKhaleel
New Contributor III
I recently got a new work computer, and made the switch to Windows 10 64-bit. My ArcMap is version 10.3
I've noticed that if I have an mxd open for awhile, it tends to, for lack of a better phrase, screw up connections to any and all file geodatabase. It does not "lose" the connection, I can still access feature properties, etc, and it does not give the "red exclamations." However, if I browse source connections, and retype the path, it still does not draw and will give this error:
One or more layers failed to draw:
FDO error: 0
General function failure
[File GDB layer name]:  General function failure
My only recourse is to close and restart ArcMap. The article http://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000005082 did not provide help I could use in this case. I never had this problem with previous Windows or ArcMap versions. Any similar encounters?
7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Rasheed,

I also would get the fail to draw error when having arcmap open for a long time on my windows 10 machine (running 10.3 and 10.3.1). I just kind of ignored it, closed and re-opened arcmap and things were back to normal.

matthewallen5
New Contributor II

I have the exact same issue as you describe above. Did you ever find a solution to this?

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Does this problem only occur for data stored in file gdbs?

0 Kudos
matthewallen5
New Contributor II

Yes all of our data is in a file gdb.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Matthew, did this error message ever really stop you from your work too much? Or did you have to fully close and re-open ArcMap?

Maybe moving to ArcGIS Pro is a work-able solution?

0 Kudos
MattWilkie3
Occasional Contributor II

For us: yes it stops work often. A full close and restart of ArcMap is needed. Moving to Pro is not a solution. We use Pro, but ArcMap is still the primary and will be for at least a few more years.

0 Kudos
MattWilkie3
Occasional Contributor II
0 Kudos