draw smaller polygons over larger polygons

Jump to solution
08-17-2017 09:42 AM
RyanPaquette1
New Contributor III

Want to set up ArcMap to draw all smaller polygons in a feature on top of larger polygons within the same feature. 

Someone asked about this on GIS Stack Exchange and it was marked as answered yet it was not really answered; ArcGIS - possible to set the drawing order of polygon features - Geographic Information Systems Stac...  (While the title was interpreted as duplicate, the question itself was unique)

I have the total area set up as an attribute, but Symbol Levels don't seem to cut it as I cannot use natural breaks / classes due to the symbolization being on a descriptive field...

1) The symbology is on separate / descriptive field.

2) So, went with Unique values, many fields in order to leverage Symbol Levels on the Area attribute.

3a) Because its unique values I cannot feasibly add all the AREA attributes (all unique / 20,000+ records).

3b) The Symbol Levels concatenates both fields so I cannot even have it sort by area, due to the Area attribs being grouped by the descriptive attribute.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The answer is reasonable... sort the Area field (Shape_Area) in descending order... which suggests that you don't have an advanced license.  There are workarounds, but they would require so programming

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The answer is reasonable... sort the Area field (Shape_Area) in descending order... which suggests that you don't have an advanced license.  There are workarounds, but they would require so programming

RyanPaquette1
New Contributor III

Borrowed an advanced license, ran the tool, generated a new file. Worked . Just couldn't do it on the source data itself. No worries. Thanks

0 Kudos