When I tried to open ArcGIS 10.4 today, a popup told me that something is wrong with two drivers: DisplayLib.dll and LayerUlib.dll. What happened, and how do I f ix this?

08-20-2017 05:03 PM
PhilFreeman
New Contributor II

I an running ArcGIS 10.4 on Windows 10.  Today, out of the blue, when I try to open the program, I get a popup message that tells me that there are problems with two drivers, DisplayLib.dll and LayerULIB.dll .  When I look at those files they both have sizes of 0 bytes.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Phil Freeman

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what happened yesterday is the big question... did you install anything? what programs did you use after arcmap? undate anything?  

Plus details on the operating system etc that you are using.

And barring that, go to Add-remove programs in Windows, and there is a 'Repair' option, when you select Uninstall

PhilFreeman
New Contributor II

Dan,  As far as I know I have not done anything unusual either today or yesterday.  Yesterday after my post I uninstalled and re-installed the program and it seemed to fix it, but today it is doing it again. My O.S. is  Windows 10.  I have not installed any new programs in quite a while.

0 Kudos
PhilFreeman
New Contributor II

I have now run scans with my security software (McAfee) and with Malware bytes, both coming up with no infections or malware.  I then re-installed ArcMap 4.1 as you described in your response, and it seems to be working normally.  It remains to be seen whether when I close it, I will be able to re-open it.  As far as I can tell, ArcMap is the only thing being effected, but that makes sense in light of the location of the files involved.  Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Not sure... but if you have this issue again you need to contact Tech Support and file a case.  They deal with way more of these obscurata software problems than are dealt with on GeoNet.  Fingers crossed that the intersection of the moon and sun today has rectified everthing  

0 Kudos
PhilFreeman
New Contributor II

Dan, actually I did open a case with Tech Support and one of them called me yesterday and had me run a .bat file that he gave me.  That did not fix it either.  So, since our organization had an ArcMap 5.1 download available I installed that and thought for sure it would fix it.  But on about the third time starting ArcMap the same thing happened. It only affects ArcMap (apparently) but is a problem that persists after completely replacing the version.  How could that happen?  I am waiting on Tech Support, but what would you guess is causing this?  A corrupt file in my registry?  Thank you for trying to help.

Phil

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

...re-installed ArcMap 4.1    .....our organization had an ArcMap 5.1 download available.....

Hate to nit-pick the details, but do you mean 10.4.1 and 10.5.1 or am I so far behind the times that these numbers refer to something I'm not aware of?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
RosemaryAlles
New Contributor II

Dear Phil, 

I am wondering if you were able to resolve this problem? I have exactly the same issue. I am running ArcGIS 10.5.1 on Windows 10. And have not had any problems for years except this one, which started 2 days ago; since then, I have repaired, uninstalled, reinstalled to no avail. ArcGIS runs happily for a while and when closed it is always questionable if it can be opened again without a problem; generally it WILL open, however, I can almost guarantee that if I power down the computer and restart it - ArcGIS will fail with this error message - see below: (several pop ups related to different DLLs, all of whose sizes appears to have shrunk to zero). 

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Error message:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop 10.5\bin\AppInitializerLib.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error try reinstalling the program ... Error status: Oxc0000020"
++++++++++++++++++++++++

The only change to the computer are the auto updates by windows, I have a suspicion that updates may be causing a problem? I am not sure. Weirdly this seem to happen (although I am not 100% sure) during the window of time that the computer is designated not to be active, and ergo, updates are possible. I have run a malware checker, virus checker and file system checker, all which tell me that the system is ok; the problem appears *only* affect ArcGIS so far... 

0 Kudos