Find percentage of raster classes inside polygon

08-19-2017 05:37 PM
AdamBorczyk
New Contributor III

I have a raster representing glacierized area with 2 classes: distinction between ice and snow. I also have DEM of the area. I would like to calculate an average height of the boundary between those two classes. I came up with an idea I could somehow calculate how many pixels of each class belong to a given height range (like 500-515m a.s.l.). For example (with a picture):

• 100% of snow in this range isn't what I'm looking for (it's not a boundary)
  • 100% of ice neither
  • 80% of ice and 20% snow is not a boundary (could be a snow patch)
  • 40% of snow and 60% of ice probably is a boundary (values are arbitrary and I'd like to evaluate them)

So I reclassified DEM to 15m intervals and vectorized it. And now I have no clue. The Zonal Statistics tool only allows me to calculate statistics like MIN, MAX, MAJ etc., whereas I need a percentage - a custom equation. Or maybe there is a different way?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

One way is to convert the classified Raster to Polygon (non-simplified). Then, use Tabulate Intersection.

Think Location
0 Kudos
AdamBorczyk
New Contributor III

Thank you, that made it. Afterwards I only had to select by attributes (where X/Y > Z) and do some Joins and Spatial Joins to get a clean attribute table with glacier name and the value. In my case, where more than one "ranges" were selected I also also summarized them by original FID, so I got an average of all selected boundaries (ranges).

TylerSchlachter
New Contributor II

This is a great answer.

Almost all of the zonal statistics related approaches to this problem seem overly complicated.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Totally not tried, but this percentage question keeps cropping up, but I think a .... zonal sum / zonal count .... would give you the necessary ratio, if snow were classed as 1

1. zones - regiongroup your vectorized contour areas
  2. classify ice and snow data
    1. ice - class 0
    2. snow - class 1
  3. zonal area - is the Count column in the zonal statistics as table column
  4. zonal sum - is the sum column in the zonal statistics as table column, sum option
  5. do the math in a new field in the table, join back to the polygon zone
0 Kudos