"The shape must have a Z value"

08-21-2017 05:18 PM
DanielMoore
New Contributor II

My maps have points and segments along a walking trail. They have N, E, and Z values. The map used to work fine on the ArcGIS app, but now in Explorer for ArcGIS the map won't load and the message is "Unable to Open Map. The shape must have a Z value." How do I give it a Z value? How do I get this new app to work with my very good map?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Just a thought... the Z value, is it in the table? or is it a featureclass or shapefile with a PointZ designation in the shape field?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You might have a vertical coordinate system assigned to this Feature Class/ Shapefile. You will need to recreate it without the vertical coordinate system.

You could create a blank Feature Class with the same schema (import the fields) without enabling the Z-value or defining the Vertical Coordinate System. Then you could move the features from the older dataset to the new dataset by either Copy-Paste (Editing mode) or Append .

Think Location
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Daniel,

What is the source of this data? Is it a shapefile, geodatabase feature class, CSV file, etc.?

0 Kudos
DanielMoore
New Contributor II

Thanks to all. The data are shapefiles created from land surveyed points that are three-dimensional. I succeeded with a test map by following Jayanta's suggestion. In ArcMap, when I loaded the points from Excel and used the command Display XY data, I left the Z field as none. (I had been specifying that field with the actual elev data). When creating a shape file from the points, I can still have the elev data in the attribute table. The test map with just this point file did work in Explorer. HOWEVER, this app is a bummer. Not as good as the old one, ESRI ArcGIS app. Not as easy to click on the features. No magnifying glass when you press your finger (as far as I can tell.) Hopefully, this app will be improved. The old app still works, but iPhone reports it needs updating, and it no longer appears in the app store.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Daniel,

Like you mentioned, when making a shapefile from an excel file, for online purposes it is best to ignore the Z value in the calculations. I'm not sure why but it makes points work better (especially if you do not really need this Z value and if the Z value is included as an attribute, like you said).

0 Kudos
DanielMoore
New Contributor II

Yes, the app is Explorer or ArcGIS on iOs, but I've got 17.1.2. Maybe I'm just getting used to it-- clicking on a feature with just a tap seems to work better than in the old ESRI ArcGIS app. Thanks again for all the feedback. I think I can get my full featured map up and running shortly.

0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor

It's possible you are encountering 'BUG-000106721 - Unable to Open Map: The shape must have a z-value" appears in Explorer (iOS) when opening a map that contains a feature collection created by adding a shapefile that contains z-values to a web map in ArcGIS Online.' Please visit My.Esri.com and submit a support case to be attached to BUG-000106721 for tracking updates to the issue. 

Thanks,
Denise

Denise King | Technology Lead, Apps/Mobile

Esri Support Services | Product Supportability