Is there a way to display/analyze vertical profile data (e.g. water temperature at several depths) using ArcMap?

Jump to solution
08-22-2017 09:00 AM
FelipeRios
New Contributor

Hello; I have several seawater parameters collected at several depths; is there a way to analyze these vertical profiles in ArcMap?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinButler1
Esri Contributor

Felipe,

I'd recommend ArcGIS Pro for analyzing water column data.  There are many ways to look at water column data ... I'll mention a few. You can leverage the charting features of Pro to explore how variables measured in the water column change by depth.  For example,

Several of the tools in the Spatial Statistics and Space Time Pattern Mining toolboxes can process 3D data directly.  The example below is a hot spot analysis (Getis-Ord Gi*) of dissolved oxygen.

Using the range slider (far right corner of the screenshot below), you can dynamically select a single depth level from the water column and analyze it with any geoprocessing tool that takes points.  For example, in the image below, I used the Kernel Interpolation with Barriers tool to create a continuous surface of temperature,

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KevinButler1
Esri Contributor

Felipe,

I'd recommend ArcGIS Pro for analyzing water column data.  There are many ways to look at water column data ... I'll mention a few. You can leverage the charting features of Pro to explore how variables measured in the water column change by depth.  For example,

Several of the tools in the Spatial Statistics and Space Time Pattern Mining toolboxes can process 3D data directly.  The example below is a hot spot analysis (Getis-Ord Gi*) of dissolved oxygen.

Using the range slider (far right corner of the screenshot below), you can dynamically select a single depth level from the water column and analyze it with any geoprocessing tool that takes points.  For example, in the image below, I used the Kernel Interpolation with Barriers tool to create a continuous surface of temperature,

FelipeRios
New Contributor

Thanks a lot Kevin for your reply. Very useful comments!

0 Kudos