ArcMap - Flat Environment v.s. 3D Environment

Jump to solution
08-23-2017 11:07 AM
ChuckTurlington
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I am using ArcMap 10.4.1.

I have been learning about the subject of coordinate system concepts such as datums, transformations, projections, maps, grid, ground, etc.  While developing practical exercises for myself, I have come to the realization that ArcMap may be my only resource for properly transforming and projecting between different coordinate systems.  For example, I learned that AutoCAD does not really think in 3D such as the case with interpreting a true geographic coordinate system.  In fact, the world WGS84 datum would be visualized in AutoCAD as a flat plane, even though it is not projected.  So locating points and transforming, for example, between a State Plane coordinate and WGS84 is not possible.  However, I assume the ArcMap software is not working in a "flat" environment like AutoCAD, and can correctly interpret between a 3D Geographic coordinate system and a flat State Plane projected coordinate system ? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No,  the geometry objects that cad is able to create are generally more extensive that those in a gis, Cad... to generalize... is more focused on the geometry and its construction and organization, whereas a gis tries to balance the geometry and attributes to facilitate query and analysis.

In short, I wouldn't design a house in a gis, but design a hiking trail with cad.  The cross-over has obviously necessitated that both be able to communicate at some level and share what is possible.  Just scan the cad tools in arcmap and arctoolbox to see what I mean

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Chuck... rather than send you links that have been sent before, yes ArcMap can do the projections between coordinate systems as long as a defined projection/coordinate system exists for the dataset.  That would apply for data on a global or a local scale.

Is there something particular that you are grappling with?

ChuckTurlington

Dan,

Thanks again for your feedback.  My problem is trying to use the right software for the job.  I had no idea that the AutoCAD environment, for example, is built off a flat "grid" system and cannot interpret correctly a 3d geographic coordinate system.  The subject of software capability is very confusing, especially when the developer includes button picks that suggest functionality that is not really there.  I am hoping to confirm that ArcMap is not developed on a similar flat grid environment and really does interpret the 3d geographic coordinate systems as expected.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro can convert from Geographic to projected and vice versa as long as the coordinates are defined in the first place.  You can even set the dataframe (map frame in Pro) to your desired coordinates system, do the digitizing/feature creation there in the frame coordinate system, then project to another when you are done, or as needed.  Cad has a particular place and use, and its use in engineering pre-dates gis by some years.

ChuckTurlington

Dan,

Do you know what the software model comparison may be between ArcMap and AutoCAD ?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No,  the geometry objects that cad is able to create are generally more extensive that those in a gis, Cad... to generalize... is more focused on the geometry and its construction and organization, whereas a gis tries to balance the geometry and attributes to facilitate query and analysis.

In short, I wouldn't design a house in a gis, but design a hiking trail with cad.  The cross-over has obviously necessitated that both be able to communicate at some level and share what is possible.  Just scan the cad tools in arcmap and arctoolbox to see what I mean