How to identify disconnected line features in a large polyline shapefile

Jump to solution
08-28-2017 03:26 AM
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III

I am using a street network of a large city with almost 6000 line features. When I am doing a network analysis, I get error of disconnected elements in the network. Is there any tool to identify such disconnected line segments that are not connected to any other line, or a couple of lines connected to themselves but not to the larger network. It is a large network and I am not able to visually find these. 

thank you.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

If you are looking for physical connectivity issues (not the ones caused by attributes like oneway's), you can use the Utility Network tools to find disconnected parts from some known location. Take a look at:

Find Disconnected Features in Geometric Network—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Note that this will require you to create/build a geometric network. Once you correct your issues, you can delete that and create a network dataset for use with Network Analyst. Alternatively you can use the Service Area solver (with the lines option) to find things that are "connected". Once you have this as a selection, invert the selection to find features that are not connected.

Jay Sandhu

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

to ensure the integrity of a network  

...by modeling the features in a topology or using the Integrate geoprocessing tool....

In any event, check Integrate on a copy of the file

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

In addition to what Dan Patterson mentioned, here is a link that will get you started with editing a network dataset:

Ways to edit network datasets—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  

JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

If you are looking for physical connectivity issues (not the ones caused by attributes like oneway's), you can use the Utility Network tools to find disconnected parts from some known location. Take a look at:

Find Disconnected Features in Geometric Network—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Note that this will require you to create/build a geometric network. Once you correct your issues, you can delete that and create a network dataset for use with Network Analyst. Alternatively you can use the Service Area solver (with the lines option) to find things that are "connected". Once you have this as a selection, invert the selection to find features that are not connected.

Jay Sandhu

RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, I did this already with geometric network. But nice to know about doing the same with service area solver. Thank you.

0 Kudos