Align Objects to ground

08-30-2017 04:40 AM
GünterDörffel
Occasional Contributor III

I am fighting an issue that basically could be resolved with ONE change in Portal/Online:

Both should, as Pro does and CityEngine can set, allow to set Objects to ground as a default.

I know this could be an improvement request, but maybe I am doing something initially wrong ... so I describe:

My data starts out in CityEngine and there I align it to elevation/terrain that I obtain from ArcGIS Online. By a rule I extrude and texture the elements and then to explain create Multipatches from it (exporting to a Scene layer right away does not do anything different in the result.

When I load this data into an ArcGIS Pro Scene, it does not align with the Ground. So my first assumption:

• Global terrain used in Pro IS NOT identical to the terrain I can download from in CityEngine 2017 ???

This is how it looks like after loading it in Pro in an area that is rugged:

In Pro it is easy to fix that - just change the elevation settings to "on the ground" ... and here you go!

Now I can create a Scene Layer Package from the data (as mentioned above  -I could create that Package from CityEngine - but that does not behave different) and upload to ArcGIS Online. Not many settings there ..and the result is:

So I am back to the version with Terrain mismatch!

So to me there are two options:

• use the correct Elevation model in CityEngine right away?
  • make the WebScene respect or be able to set "On the ground"

Anyone any Ideas? Thanks!

1 Reply
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

In Pro when you align the buildings to the ground use the Layer 3D To Feature Class. Then Create the SLPK you will upload to AGOL or publish a multipatch feature layer and create a scene layer from that in AGOL.

1. To align the buildings with the terrain, right-click the Buildings_3D layer and click Properties Properties.
  2. On the Elevation tab, click the Features are drop-down menu and click On the ground. Click OK to close the Properties dialog box.
  3. Run the Layer 3D to Feature Class tool once more to update the building geometries to be in alignment with the terrain.