why is it slow to select parcels when editing

08-31-2017 09:22 AM
JimSampson
New Contributor

I have a parcel database of about 16,000 in an SDE database on ArcGIS server. Other layers there edit more quickly. On Monday of this week, everything was fine. Most of the time it takes 20 to 30 seconds to select a new parcel to edit. Once it is selected, editing is fine. Using ArcGIS Pro 2.0.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
LarryGaudieri1
New Contributor III

Jim, did you get an answer elsewhere or are you still experiencing severe latency? We experienced the same when we loaded our fabric to SDE. I read an article and found that there are two geometry types within the server environment; ST_Geometry and a binary form (of which I heard that ESRI is phasing out). We moved all of our data to the binary form and it was like night and day. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Larry:

What type of database do you store your fabric SDE data (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server, etc.)?

Also what version of the database software are you using?

0 Kudos
LarryGaudieri1
New Contributor III

Mike,

I don't work to closely with IT-GIS but I believe it's SQL and version 10.1? 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I ask because my organization also has severe latency with the parcel fabric but we use Oracle for the SDE database.  We migrated from binary form to ST_Geometry as that is ESRI best practice, so it is quite surprising that binary form (which is being phased out) performs much better.

0 Kudos
LarryGaudieri1
New Contributor III

I know it was a regressive solution but I'm not privy to server characteristics in that department. I provided ESRI's docs on implementation and trusted that would be done but as soon as we went to edit, all systems basically locked. Someone added another 4GB chip to my PC and it helped but once I suggested the regression, it was flying. So, not sure what we will do going forward.

0 Kudos
LarryGaudieri1
New Contributor III

Hi Mike, did you ever translate your fabric data to SDEBINARY? We had good success with local workstation performance but our DBA would like us to return to the ST_GEO. We are due to have that happen this week. This time we are reserving a server-side FGDB exclusively for our fabric to see what happens when the indexes and domains are not mixed with other FC's in a DB and how effective it will be to run index delete and rebuilds, compresses, (which occur maybe at least once during a work day as well?) and reconcile and posts (if any edits are not pushed up))

With ArcGIS Pro, I cannot say one-way-or-the-other because we weren't aware of any ESRI solution at the time but we've not tested yet.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

My org did not.  We have upgraded our server environment from 10.3.1 to 10.5.1 and the parcel fabric latency appears to have gone way (I say appears because my org has not tested editing in the parcel fabric enough to say it is a permanent solution to the latency).

0 Kudos
LarryGaudieri1
New Contributor III

Mike and all. Last week ESRI sent a Land Records Professional Services person to look at our parcel fabric. Since my last post we've tested 2 SQL server FGDB's each containing one each version of our fabric in both GEOMETRY and BINARY. We tested one-for-one edit tasks and recorded our results. Of course, you are all aware of the latency within GEOMETRY but I discovered that the fabric performs much better when it is autonomous in it's own DB. Also, Anna speaks rightly about DB maintenance. 

Additionally, i recall the guy mentioning that 10.4 (DB & Desktop) is the last version that will be stable with BINARY. 10.5 was said to have possessed 2 bugs of which the fixes did not restore 100% stability. His advice was to skip to 10.6 for both server and desktop. Mike mentions above, moving to GEOMETRY in 10.5 should alleviate latency issues in editing. He did not see any problems with keeping a dataset within the 10.4 release as a production workspace until 10.6 is rolled out.

Here is the surprising this I learned: It was recommended that for near every fabric related task, one should create a version, execute said tasks (minor or extended edits, parcel migration or imports), reconcile and post, then delete and recreate a version for the next tasks. In multi-editor environments, we are reconciling and posting multiple times a day with daily compress, spatial index refresh and other tune-ups at DB level.

We're looking forward to adopting some of these best practices and seeing positive results. 

0 Kudos
JimSampson
New Contributor

We are using MS SQL server. Today things are so slow that my snapping seems to be not working.

0 Kudos