GeoEvent: Input experienced a buffer overflow

08-31-2017 12:13 PM
AllWeatherHeather
Occasional Contributor

I have a Poll an External Website for XML input that has been running for a couple of weeks without issue until 4 days ago. Now I am getting the following message:

Input 'SilverEye-xml-poll-in' experienced a buffer overflow on channel ''. It cannot parse the data as fast as the data is coming in. Some data was lost.

This is especially confusing because right now I know that no data is available at the url. I type it into my browser and confirm that only an empty response is returned. I can also confirm that over the last 4 days there has been activity captured for the 12 aircraft and I wouldn't expect that 5 minute historic captures would exceed the processing ability of my GeoEvent processor ArcGIS Server (also other events are being captured no problem).

Has anyone else experienced this? I tried restarting the input service and adjusting the parameters slightly with no change in the logging behaviour. Help!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChrisBeyett
Occasional Contributor

Hi Heather, 

This could be a leftover message from when the actual event took place. Sometimes a buffer overflow occurs when the process running GeoEvent doesn't have the correct memory associated to it when the spike of events flows through. Let's start by looking at this avenue first to rule it out. What type of physical specifications does the GeoEvent machine have in terms of RAM and CPU? 

Also, GeoEvent itself runs on a java.exe process that can be seen within the Window Task Manager. I'd also be interested in the amount of RAM this process is consuming when GeoEvent is running. To correct the buffer overflow we may need to make an adjustment in how GeoEvent allocates and consumes memory, but we'll need to know this number as a baseline first. If you need assistance in viewing the process in the Task Manager let me know and I'll provide a workflow for you. 

- Chris

AllWeatherHeather
Occasional Contributor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your attention to my question! The server running GeoEvent is Window 2012 R2 with 4 cores and 16GB of RAM. I opened up task manager and the java.exe process is consuming 2,231,636 K of memory.

What't next?

0 Kudos
ChrisBeyett
Occasional Contributor

Hi Heather, 

Thanks for providing this number. With GeoEvent consuming 2.2GB that's normally the upper threshold for the default installation. Before we make any modifications, I do need to know how much RAM is being consumed on the machine overall? When you open task manager and look at the RAM tab, how much is being consumed out of that 16GB?

-Chris