Why would model builder outputs not be adding to display?

08-31-2017 02:46 PM
CharlotteRowley
New Contributor II

I'm working on ArcMap 10.4.1 and ArcMap 10.5.

So, I am attempting to build a model using tools from the Spatial Statistics toolbox (Hot Spot Analysis and Cluster-Outlier) and the output files are generating properly but not being added to the display. I've never used Model Builder before so I am probably just missing something obvious but I am all out of ideas about where I am going wrong.

I have a layer of polygons with associated attribute fields which I want to repeatedly run HSA and C-O on (to spatially plot out each attribute's patterning). Using the individual tools, I can run them successfully on each attribute field separately but that was taking a while, so I built the model using a List Variable as a Model Parameter for the input (to tell the tool to run each attribute) and then Parse Path to allow me to label the output shapefiles appropriately. The tool appears to run successfully because I get shapefiles of the appropriate names in the appropriate folders, but it does not add them to the main display. I have:

- made sure Add to Display is checked

- made sure the output shapefiles are labelled as Model Parameters

- checked the workspace in the model matches the workspace used in the map doc

- checked the projection system is the same

- even tried checking Managed (because someone said they got that to work and I thought it was worth a try)

- also tried Collect Values just in case that would help

I can add manually the shapefiles but then because they are HSA and C-O, I have to them symbolise them individually anyway to get them to display properly... so I am still having to manually modify each variable's two outputs and with 36 variables that still takes a lot of time.

Any help would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

try attaching the model to a toolbox in arctoolbox rather than just running the model by itself or through arccatalog

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't see why this would make any difference. I am denying myself the shortcut and nostalgic good feeling of the 9.3-ish ArcToolbox as I steel myself to go Pro.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I have seen stranger things...

Charlotte had already ruled out jayanta.poddar's suggestion 

made sure Add to Display is checked

plus she has quite an extensive list of things that she accounted for which leaves.. the unaccounted for, or other things I have seen work in the classroom for reasons unknown

0 Kudos
CharlotteRowley
New Contributor II

Hi all, thanks so much for the responses

Dan Patterson - that was definitely worth trying, hadn't thought about that. Now, however, it is rejecting the input shapefile and will not run the HSA or C-O for... unknown reasons (it runs the Parse Path though?!). I've tried saving the shapefile as a feature class and replaced that as the input feature class but no luck. Thanks so much anyway, it was worth a shot! I will keep tinkering with it in this format though, see if I can get it to work. I will update on this thread if successful.

Jayanta Poddar - yes, I had checked that too in the main frame but forgot to list it properly, but thanks anyway! (I also had Add to Display for the output in Model Builder checked, to be clear.)

The other think I forgot to mention is that I have everything running as foreground processes.

I feel like it is toying with me a bit now, like a cat with a mouse! Willing to try any other suggestions but really appreciate the attempts to help so far.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Charlotte, from the help topic... I just want to confirm that everything is in the same coordinate system and the results... are they going into a geodatabase? have you tried a new saving location?

There is nothing in the Environments (bottom of the help topic) that suggests that they shouldn't be added.  But add a MakeFeatureLayer ...as a test... to see if you can 'kick' the output to screen after the processing is done ..

CharlotteRowley
New Contributor II

I double checked to be sure after seeing your post and everything seems to be in the same coordinate system.

The new development (with only running Parse Path) seemed to be an issue with the computer I was running it on (I am based at a university so I tried setting up on a more powerful machine as my laptop was taking 40 minutes to run the model each time). I returned to my laptop for consistency and seems to be working fine on that and on a different university computer. Running on my laptop from ArcToolbox I get the same as I did initially - the shapefiles are made but the results don't display.

I had the results saving outside the geodatabase (I was also moving the successfully created files into a different folder so they weren't having to overwrite every time I ran the model), but just tried to save within the geodatabase to see if that worked - nothing seemed to save then at all, and it said it failed so it doesn't seem to like that any better.

I have just tried adding MakeFeatureLayer to the model but the model will not run (I suspect in this case it is too much for the computers to handle). I also tried running the tool using Batch processing and that doesn't seem to want to play ball either. I think I might have to cut my losses at this stage and just get on with doing it manually which will take a few hours (as I have a couple of datasets to run the tools on as well)... but it does work at least!

Many thanks for your help, Dan Patterson‌, very much appreciated. If I ever get it to work, I will update the thread!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

good luck

try saving to simple locations when you get time ... ie c:\test  

skip saving to network drives and the like if you can

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

...model will not run (I suspect in this case it is too much for the computers to handle).

How minimal are these machines? If you are memory starved [example I had a student come to class with a Best Buy "deal" laptop with 4GB + slow i5 running Win 10) I have found weird behavior like your layer not showing up is a common occurrence. In my experience 4GB is an absolute minimum to run ArcMap and under Win 10 you really need 8 GB for ArcMap and Windows to have enough breathing room to operate.

On these slow computers make sure you turn off background processing, with Win10, ArcMap, plus background processing you may be simply asking too much of the setup. (I see you mentioned above turning it off, which is good.)

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ideally, the output model parameters with Add to Display option checked, should be added to the TOC of the current ArcMap session, when the tool is run from within the Model Builder. What happens if you additionally do the following step?

from the Standard toolbar: Geoprocessing > Geoprocessing Options > Add results of geoprocessing operations to the display.

Displaying model data—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Think Location