Using AWS CloudFormation - is there an ESRI template for PostGres?

Jump to solution
09-01-2017 09:14 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi.

I'm wanting to use AWS CloudFormation to build a single server deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise. The standard template available for Windows appears to install SQL Server 2016 as the database. I assume that AWS is charging the license for this.

I would rather be using PostGres. Does anyone know if there is a template available anywhere that would install a deployment with Windows and PostGres?

CloudFormation templates to deploy ArcGIS Enterprise on Amazon Web Services | ArcGIS Enterprise 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In the end I was told that the 'Windows' AWS CloudFormation template installs SQL Server Express (and not the fully licensed SQL Server Standard), therefore the answer is to use that template, then manually install PostGreSQL afterwards.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
BMoore
by
New Contributor

I have the same question.  Did you end up getting PostGreSQL on Windows?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In the end I was told that the 'Windows' AWS CloudFormation template installs SQL Server Express (and not the fully licensed SQL Server Standard), therefore the answer is to use that template, then manually install PostGreSQL afterwards.

GLCAdmin
New Contributor II

Hi Paul,

I am having the same question. Did you find any documentation about replacing SQL Server Express with PostgreSQL? How would this affect the Data Store? Do you just uninstall one and install the other? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi. I didn't uninstall SQL Server Express, if that's what you mean. I just installed PostgreSQL as well and used that. Installing Postgres doesn't affect Data Store as far as I'm aware, they co-exist side by side quite happily.

I followed the standard esri docs online about installing Postgres, I can't remember the links sorry, you'll have to search for them. I used the Postgres install files downloaded from MyEsri, but I think you can use the standard installation files if you wish, just pay attention to which Postgres version you install because I don't think the very latest one is 'officially' support by ESRI yet.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A real Rube Goldberg on Esri's behalf, but thanks for sharing what you found out to make it work.

0 Kudos