Geoportal Server LiveDVD

09-05-2017 07:45 AM
BenLeslie1
Occasional Contributor III

Maybe a very basic question but how do I get the Geoportal Server LiveDVD to work? (Esri Geoportal Server LiveDVD )

I've downloaded the .iso and burnt it to DVD as an image.

As per the instructions I have rebooted with the disc in my drive - nothing happens.

If I choose "Open Autoplay..." I get options to:

• Import pictures and videos (using Windows)
  • Download images (using Adobe Bridge CS4)
  • Play (using Windows Media Player)
  • Open folder to view files (using Windows Explorer)

If I Open folder I see the following:

• boot      (folder)
  • config.isoclient
  • Esri_Geoportal_Server_LiveDVD_Demo_2015-read-only.i686-1.4.0

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

My computer is not connected to the internet.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RichardKachelriess
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ben Leslie,

Sorry for the delayed response. I just saw this post today.

For the LiveDVD to boot from the disk drive, you have to make sure your bios boot order is set to boot from the disk before it boots from the hard drive. If your bios is set to boot from the hard drive first, it'll never check to boot from the disk. With most Windows machines, you can press a key like F10 or F12 when you first boot (before the Windows logo appears) to enter the bios settings and change the boot order.

Alternatively, you can boot the ISO or disk into a virtual machine. This is how I usually boot up the LiveDVD. In either VirtualBox or VMWare Player, I'll setup a blank virtual machine. Then in the settings for the machine, I'll point its virtual disk drive to either the .iso file or the actual physical disk drive if I have the disk in there. When I boot up the virtual machine, the LiveDVD should boot automatically. It won't boot from the hard drive because the hard drive is blank.

Please note that the Esri Geoportal Server LiveDVD is a retired demo. It still works but it does run an older version of the Geoportal software. Also, the informational webpage that popped up when the LiveDVD started no longer works because it lived on the esri.com web servers and was taken down. Instead the Geoportal Server product page will appear. To get to the actual Esri Geoportal Server demo instance on the LiveDVD, you have to close the web browser and click the Geoportal icon on the desktop. The Geoportal, web servlet, database, and everything else required for the Geoportal demo to run all lives on the LiveDVD and should run even without an internet connection. Since it is retired, there are no guarantees about how well it works.

I hope this was helpful.

Thanks!

Richard

0 Kudos