How to project the basemap in BNG?

Jump to solution
09-07-2017 04:31 AM
GladBiotel
New Contributor II

Hello everyone, for a research project, I need to work with the British National Grid projection but the basemap is in WGS1984, how can I reproject the basemap in BNG ? Thank you very much

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I feel the Lat./Lon. values in the excel sheet, are based on GCS_WGS_1984.

Follow these steps and let me know if the points are overlaying correctly or not.

1. Import XY data tables to ArcMap and convert the data to a shapefile . While importing, use "GCS_WGS_1984" as the spatial reference.

2. If required, reproject the above point shapefile to British National Grid using Project tool.

Think Location

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you referring to an Esri Basemap (Esri Basemaps are in Web Mercator)? You can't reproject an Esri basemap.

But, if you are working on ArcGIS Desktop, you could transform the basemap on the fly to a desired Projection system. You could follow these steps.

1. Open a blank Map Document.

2. Add a data (with BNG projection) to the data-frame/ or change the Projection System to BNG from Data-Frame Properties.

3. Add the desired Basemap to ArcMap.

If prompted, choose an appropriate Transformation method.

In case it is a different basemap, please provide further details about it. Also let me know if you are working on a different platform.

Think Location
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Glad,

1. Are you working with ArcGIS Desktop or consuming the service in some application?
  2. Are you referring the ArcGIS Online basemaps?

AGOL basemaps are available with WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) WKID 102100 and this available as read only for all user globally. Hence we cannot permanently project the basemaps to another spatial reference, however, you can change the projection of the basemap by changing on-the-fly projection ArcMap data frame properties (If viewed in ArcGIS Desktop) or can be changed from code side (is it is being consumed in some application)

I hope this helps!

~Shan

~Shan
GladBiotel
New Contributor II

Thank you to you 2, it works almost but my points with the basemap in BNG are now located in the sea instead of being located above London.

With the WGS1984 projection system, the points are well located. So it is not a problem of coordinates.

Someone knows why ?

location of my points in a BNG basemap

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you zip and attach a sample of the point Feature, so that we could check? It must be using BNG projection system I guess.

Think Location
0 Kudos
GladBiotel
New Contributor II

Thank you very much for your help.

Here are my points in a Google Doc.

Feuille de calcul sans titre - Google Sheets 

0 Kudos
GladBiotel
New Contributor II

The points coordinates were obtained with a GPS Garmin.

0 Kudos
GladBiotel
New Contributor II

And sorry, maybe it is a silly question but since monday, I can't find a solution !

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I feel the Lat./Lon. values in the excel sheet, are based on GCS_WGS_1984.

Follow these steps and let me know if the points are overlaying correctly or not.

1. Import XY data tables to ArcMap and convert the data to a shapefile . While importing, use "GCS_WGS_1984" as the spatial reference.

2. If required, reproject the above point shapefile to British National Grid using Project tool.

Think Location
GladBiotel
New Contributor II

Thank you very much, It worked, I solved my problem !