Disable table view in web map

Jump to solution
09-08-2017 12:44 PM
AmyRoust
Occasional Contributor III

Is there a way to disable the Show Table button for end users in a basic ArcGIS Online web map? I know that you can disable that option if you share the web map via Web AppBuilder, but if the source web map is shared publicly, anyone could open it and then open the table from that location.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey Amy,

Here is a some information on how to ensure that the data is only accessed through the web application.

1. Secure the REST Endpoint using the directions outlined in this documentation: Limit access to public layers - Crowdsource Reporter | ArcGIS for State Government 

2. Set the Limit Usage setting in the Layer settings so to only allow connections from the application you created as the referrer url.

3. When users search for the application, they will be able to find and view the application and web map, but will be prompted to sign in when opening the webmap with the specific referrer URL Specified.

Check out the example with these maps/apps:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/search.html?q=view%20earthquake%20geonet&start=1&sortOrder=desc&sortFiel... 

Let me know if this gets you up and running,

-Kelly

View solution in original post

6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there,

Ideally, best practice is to always share your public maps using an application template or a configured Web AppBuilder application. What is your workflow - and what are you trying to do that would imply having to share the web map publicly?

0 Kudos
AmyRoust

I'm publishing my map through Web AppBuilder Developer Edition, using a web map created in ArcGIS Online. So, I created a web map, published it to the public, and then selected that web map as my basemap in WAB. Is it possible to not share the web map publicly in ArcGIS Online and then make it available through the WAB web app? That would be ideal.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

HI Amy,

It's not possible to disable table functionality in the web map. It would be recommended that hide the table functionality in the app. Is there any data you don't want users to access via table view?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
AmyRoust

Yes, we have data that we are not currently sharing in our public web apps because we cannot hide the table view in the source web map. I know how to hide table accessibility in web apps (I'm using WAB Developer Edition), but the web map itself is still public and therefore searchable/discoverable via ArcGIS Online searches.

I'm sure it seems odd that we would be willing to expose data via a click in the map, but not in a table. Without going into specifics, we are concerned that making the data visible in an aggregated format will lead to misuse of the information.

Thank you for confirming that table view cannot be disabled in a web map. Alix's response suggests that there is a way to set up a web map so that it is only be available through a published web app; is that possible? I haven't found any documentation online that offers a workflow for this. Or perhaps there is a workflow that would meet our needs via Portal?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hey Amy,

Here is a some information on how to ensure that the data is only accessed through the web application.

1. Secure the REST Endpoint using the directions outlined in this documentation: Limit access to public layers - Crowdsource Reporter | ArcGIS for State Government 

2. Set the Limit Usage setting in the Layer settings so to only allow connections from the application you created as the referrer url.

3. When users search for the application, they will be able to find and view the application and web map, but will be prompted to sign in when opening the webmap with the specific referrer URL Specified.

Check out the example with these maps/apps:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/search.html?q=view%20earthquake%20geonet&start=1&sortOrder=desc&sortFiel... 

Let me know if this gets you up and running,

-Kelly

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you Kelly that is actually really good to know!!

0 Kudos