can arcgis 10.5 and arcgis pro run well on a core i3 laptop (8gb and 64bit)

09-08-2017 08:21 PM
mayerin
New Contributor

Is a laptop pc with the above specs run  Arcgis 10.5 and arcgis 10.5 well. The i3 is 2nd generation.

Tags (1)
4 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi May,

FYI, please review this help topic: ArcGIS Pro 2.0 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Hope this helps,

mayerin
New Contributor

Thanks Derek. But am quite a novice on this quad core and dual core thing. I think corei3 is a dual core? And maybe i5 is a quad core?

Would be grateful to get the clarification on processor requirement

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There is a link in the link Derek sent which enables you to test to see whether your machine can run Pro.  Just click on the link and it will tell you whether it can and how well.  If you are thinking of buying that machine, head down to your local computer shop, and get them to check the link... they will oblige if it might mean a sale

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

And here is a link to Intel's page that talks about specific i3 processors

Intel® Core™ i3 Processors 

It does look like they are (at least?) dual core. i think for Pro at least, a good graphics card will be important.

Whether the software will run well or not is a bit of a subjective, and it will also depend on what you are doing.  We have much older machines that run both fine for our needs, but we don't do much/any 3D.  I do developement and quite a bit of processing on them, but for my machines, I do not do as much editing and straight map making anymore.  Although older machines (8+ yrs), when we buy one for the office  we buy the best we can afford and that follows our office guild lines at the time (GIS machines tend to be a bit beefier, usually Del Precisions), so I tend to keep and use them for as long as I can.   With that said, some processes on newer VM machines do run faster since they do have more processing power.

But as Dan mentioned, test any existing machine if you can, or check the manufactures/machines spec to see if they hold up against the requirements.  If new machine, get what you can afford.  Another thing to try, if it is an option with you licensing and work needs, install it and test it out. Again, what you do will determine if it is adequate for your purposes or not.