Extra Line Appearing on Export

09-09-2017 04:11 PM
deleted-user-W17i9rKaOdiH
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I am using ArcMap 10.5.1.

I am making a series of maps though not using DD Pages. On one of my maps, when I export a thin blue line, whose color matches my ocean background, appears running horizontal at an angle across my map. It is quite unsightly and I need to submit my final draft to my client by next week.

I saw an earlier thread suggesting to adjust printer properties and another suggesting to remove rotation on symbols. I have tried all of these options to no avail.

I also tried exporting to various formats, including JPEG and PDF, with same result.

I would be grateful if somebody out there can let me know how to remedy this situation. See screenshot.

Thanks,

Lyndy

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What is the source of the data input?  If vector, did you try a repair geometry to ensure you aren't getting bleed-through in the geometry

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Are you using leader lines for the labels/annotation where this problem occurs?

Occasional Contributor

Yes. I am. But many of my other maps do as well and I am not getting this line.

Any thoughts?

Lyndy

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

All of my maps in the series use same underlying data so if it were a geometry issue wouldn't it show up on all maps? In addition, I don't see the line until I export. If it was a geometry issue, wouldn't it  be visible in the map?

Lyndy

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Not necessarily.  A check wouldn't hurt

The only other thing you can do is sequentially remove layers to isolate the issue, then try that layer in a new, separate project and repeat your procedure.  Could be the project, a layer, just about anything

Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan,

Per your suggestion, I removed all the layers and determined with reasonable certainty the issue is not with any of my layers but rather appears to be something with the data frame. Thus, I examined the data frame properties and determined if I uncheck the Default Group Name in Annotation tab in the the Data Frame Properties (See attached), I don't get the line.

However, the catch is that if I turn this off, all of my leader lines disappear. So it has got to be something related to the annotation and/or data frame properties. I compared the settings with my other maps and they are all the same though so I don't understand why one map is doing this but the others are not.Annotation tab in Data Frame Properties Dialog Box

Anyway, I appreciate your help. If anyone else has an idea about what is going on here, please chime in.

Thanks,

Lyndy

0 Kudos
JosephCarter
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Lyndy,

I have seen strange behavior like this before. . .we have found that opening a fresh ArcMap and copying the data frame over is simple enough to try. I know it will not answer your question as to what is going on. Also, we have seen lines show up (or disappear) once in while upon printing. Our fix is when printing a PDF, under the advanced tab, check "print as image".

If you have Adobe Pro, simply select the line and delete.

We have seen strange lines and when one (accidentally or not) did some labeling in design view.

Sorry this this reply is low so tech!

0 Kudos