How do I display the X,Y coordinate in UTM ?

Jump to solution
09-12-2017 10:29 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Have a question.  I am starting to work on PRO and I do have a question.  How can I change from dd to UTM  in the Map  tab ?  The reason I am asking is because when you have the layers from dd to UTM and wanted the caption to display label in UTM.  So you know the Layer can be display in UTM and they are in correct.  Yes, I am aware that you have to go to the layer's properties and then on the left side on source to check for the spatial reference.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
13 Replies
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

BINGO !!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I dont know why it is displaying in 13S instead of 13N ?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I am aware of that that if you go north above the equator it should show N. but my question why does it show the S ?  

I pull it up on my ArcGIS 10.3.1 and it still shown in 13S too .  Ugh...

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Maybe this does a better job explaining:

"There are 60 longitudinal projection zones numbered 1 to 60 starting at 180°W. Each of these zones is 6 degrees wide, apart from a few exceptions around Norway and Svalbard. 
There are 20 latitudinal zones spanning the latitudes 80°S to 84°N and denoted by the letters C to X, omitting the letter O. Each of these is 8 degrees south-north, apart from zone X which is 12 degrees south-north."

DMAP: UTM Grid Zones of the World 

If you stay within zone 13 and move your cursor to the north, you will see that your 13S progresses to 13T

and then 13U, etc. etc.

You're seeing the latitudinal zones.

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Let me back it up a little bit.  I got these KML from another co-worker and came with it and I convert it from DD to UTM using the projection in PRO. Did something happen somewhere ? 

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Hold on....I am looking at the picture again and I can see that it is 13 N but it also shown S as well ?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

The 32N and 40N along the left-hand side is referring to 32 degrees north latitude, and 40 degrees north latitude.

In those 8 degrees of latitude is the latitudinal zone S.  If you move north to say 41 degrees north, you'd be in latitudinal zone T, and if you were still in the same east-west/longitudinal position, the display would read 13T.

0 Kudos