Crosing lines facets and fillet

09-12-2017 02:23 AM
IvanVenture
New Contributor

Hi!

I am Urban Planner and try to use Arcmap for planning roads.

At first stage, I draw roads by fat lines with type "Cartographic Line Symbol". There are roads, Red lines, and white space between.

But at next stage, roads should have fillet on crossing and red lines - facets. Please help, how it is possible to do this automatically for entire feature class.

PS.: It's ok to convert road lines to polygons at this stage.

(illustration how I done it at photoshop   )

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If the intent is to create the fillet for display purposes, it may be possible to do this with Representations.  I'm not absolutely sure offhand if there is a way to represent a fillet with Representations, but it potentially could do that.

Representations allow cartographic display of data without altering the underlying data.  So if the intent is purely display, they can be a solution. They are very handy in resolving cartographic issues without having to constantly edit or copy data to so as to make changes purely for display reasons.  However, if one needs to actually alter the data as the alteration needs to be permanent, then another solution will be needed.

What are representations?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Caveat - from a pragmatic point of view, if the project is a short one-shot effort, Representations are probably not worth doing, as they take time to learn and then set up.  However, if you find you will be doing this type of mapping often, they can be well worth it.

Chris Donohue, GISP