What's the best way to add a vector basemap to ArcGIS Pro

09-19-2017 11:24 AM
JohnDye
Occasional Contributor III

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.0 and I want to use the World Navigation Vector Basemap Service as my basemap. I can't figure out how to add it to ArcGIS Pro though. It doesn't show up in the basemap list and clicking the Open in ArcGIS Desktop button on the item details page means that ArcMap tries to open it.

The only work around I've figured out so far is to create an empty webmap on ArcGIS Online which contains the vector basemap, save that and then open that webmap in ArcGIS Pro. Surely that's not the only way to do this.

13 Replies
JohnBrockwell

I'm trying to do this to. Did you try adding through the Living Atlas?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So what I did to add it the Vector Tile Basemap to Pro is to go to the Catalog Pane, click the Portal text and then the cloud for All Portal.  From there, I searched on the term World Navigation Vector Basemap and selected the one in the graphic below.

VectorTile

JohnBrockwell

I did what you said and the maps won't add for me. I'll continue to troubleshoot.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Very strange.  I just added it to my ArcGIS Pro with no broken data links icon.  What release of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

0 Kudos
JohnBrockwell

I had to reset IE browser settings and that did the trick.

Troubleshooting issues adding ArcGIS Online basemaps to ArcMap | Support Services Blog

­

9. Reset Internet Explorer and make it the default browser.

1. Open Internet Explorer and select Tools > Internet Options.
  2. Click the Advanced tab and select Reset.
  3. Test to see if the issues persist.
  4. If they do persist, as a test, try setting Internet Explorer as your default browser (On the Programs tab of the Internet Options, select to Make Default).
  5. Test to see if the issues persist.
  6. If this resolves the issue, set your preferred browser back to default and test again. If the issues return, please contact Esri Technical Support.

From the following blog:

https://blogs.esri.com/esri/supportcenter/2013/04/01/having-issues-adding-arcgis-online-basemaps-to-... 

JohnDye

Thanks folks. I put in an ArcGIS Idea to try and get vector basemaps added to the Pro basemap gallery. Vote it up.

https://community.esri.com/ideas/14030 

JohnBrockwell

Just thought I would follow up..I have lost the ability to add vector basemaps again. I keep getting the red exclamation point everytime I try adding a vector basemap to ArcGIS Pro. My network is not great so I have to do alot of troubleshooting to identify the cause. I had it working but I think the changes reverted back to an existing security configuration.

Stay Tuned...

0 Kudos
JohnDye

You might try the workaround I used. 

1. Create an empty web map in ArcGIS Online which uses the Vector Basemap.
  2. Save that empty web map as something like "Navigation - Vector" in ArcGIS Online
  3. Sign into ArcGIS Online in Pro
  4. Open your "Navigation - Vector" web map.

Another approach - though I haven't tried it could be to save the Vector Basemap layer in your Webmap as a Layer file in ArcGIS Pro once you've done the above. Then just add that layer file to your web map anytime you needed it. That would theoretically allow you to delete the "Navigation - Vector" web map you created. Again, I've not tested this on my end but in theory, it should work.

0 Kudos
JohnBrockwell

My internet explorer settings were my problem. I need to make sure TLS 1.1, and TLS 1.2 are checked on. If those are unchecked the vector basemap will not add.