field calculator failure during processing in ArcMap error 000732

Jump to solution
09-20-2017 04:52 PM
ManuSharma1
New Contributor III

I am facing  problem while running field calculator. I am using ArcMap 10.3.1. Join data from .CSV  to feature class. Every time it says data-sets does not exist or is not supported. https://community.esri.com/community/gis/managing-data?sr=search&searchId=fcc9a741-4925-4910-b6e8-9a...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Manu,

The Join has to be permanent in order to execute Field Calculator. After joining the CSV to the Feature Class, export the Feature Class to a new Feature Class. The new Feature Class will also have the fields that were added from the CSV. Now, you should be able to execute Field Calculator in the new Feature Class (if the expression is correct).

Think Location

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The join has to be made permanent by saving to a new featureclass/shapefile.  You are attempting to do a calculation on a field in the csv table that you joined to the destination featureclass.  That isn't supported.  You can add a new field in the featureclass and do the calculation there using fields in the join table, but it is just better to save the results of the join, then do the work.

ManuSharma1
New Contributor III

Thank you Dan,

I am going on copied feature class from different GDB. I am doing on Desktop GUI. No I am attempting to do calculation on new feature class field. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

and the file is save on the desktop? don't.

Or... why don't you bring in the featureclass to your gdb... perhaps you don't have read/write access to that file in its current location.  

ManuSharma1
New Contributor III

I also kept feature class in GDB also and I have full R/W access. Any how its not executing.  I notice one thing while digging into Read write. Every time my folder became read only if I remove it (Read Only). 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Manu,

The Join has to be permanent in order to execute Field Calculator. After joining the CSV to the Feature Class, export the Feature Class to a new Feature Class. The new Feature Class will also have the fields that were added from the CSV. Now, you should be able to execute Field Calculator in the new Feature Class (if the expression is correct).

Think Location