Convert Northing and Easting Data to layer

Jump to solution
09-20-2017 02:19 PM
ElizabethBrumfield
New Contributor III

I was given a csv file and told to convert it to a feature layer.  The data is supposedly in State Plane coordinates, NAD 83, Florida North.  When I plot this out in ArcMap it ends up being about 182 miles northwest of where it should be. What am I doing wrong? Here's my workflow:  

• Open blank mxd, go to File -> Add Data -> bring in csv file.
  • Then go to File->Add Data -> Add XY Data. Choose csv file, x field is Field 2, y field is Field 3, z field is field 4
  • That gives me the event layer, which is 182 miles northwest of where it should be.

I'm fairlly confident of the State Plane designation.  Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Switching the Lat./Lon. Columns might work.

I added a Header to the CSV, as follows.

The Spatial Reference remains NAD_1983_StatePlane_Florida_North_FIPS_0903_Feet

X= Lon

Y= Lat

Think Location

View solution in original post

13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

But are the units feet of meters? that you can't tell from a csv

0 Kudos
ElizabethBrumfield
New Contributor III

Well that's a good point! So, I did the entire process again, then defined a projection using SP Fla North Meters - it was even further off....

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

well going in the wrong direction might be progress..or not

here is your first row 

40,  538974.187,  1222865.747, 96.86, scr

now the 2nd column looks like some easting  (ie X )

the 3rd column looks like some type of northing, (ie Y)

so the question becomes, did you flip the X and Y values around?

or are these in feet or meters. 

Are you about 1,222,900 meters from the equator (about 1,222 km-ish)

That will determine your confidence in the defined coordinate system

ElizabethBrumfield
New Contributor III

I set the X column to be field 2 and the Y column was field 3 (also I was told the elevation was in field 4 so for a couple of attempts I used that and then discarded it).  According to google, I'm about 3386 km from the equator. Should I be confident in using State Plane (ft)?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

sounds about right (don't do feet often)... could be an issue with the zone then if it is that shifted

Hopefully someone in your area will chime in with the correct 'State Plane Whatever' designation.  It is like UTM data, there are 120 positions on earth with the same easting and northing, making the numbers useless unless you know the utm zone and whether it is north or south of the equator.

ElizabethBrumfield
New Contributor III

Do you think the error is arising when I project it? Am I doing the actual add data and xy conversion correctly?  No,  I must not be because the event layer is off .  Can I use calculate geometry to fix it?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The numbers are right for somewhere.. I don't understand how you got pairs of coordinates without a spatial reference for them.  Did they come from a gps or something? is the csv the result of projecting some data and exporting it?.

Once you create the event layer, (in an empty dataframe... no basemap, nothing), then save it as featureclass/shapefile and immediately use the Define Projection tool in Arctoolbox, to 'tell it what it is' in terms of coordinates.  Define the coordinate system of the dataframe using the same projection/coordinate system.  If you then add a featureclass that you are absolutely sure about, regardless of its coordinate system, it will project to what you defined previously.  If it was the correct definition, then stuff will line up.  If not, then the coordinate system/projection was wrong.

I would find out what those numbers actually are.  You could end up circling the barn for days to try to get everything lined up.

ElizabethBrumfield
New Contributor III

This data was given to me by our Engineering Dept - they have a worker who does survey GPS - I've never seen his unit or gotten data from him before. When I asked, all he could tell me was 'state plane'.  I sort of took a guess that the rest of his settings would be similar to what other depts here use...hopefully!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you missed this from earlier

....so the question becomes, did you flip the X and Y values around...

0 Kudos