Territory Design for ArcMap?

09-22-2017 02:00 PM
DougHaller1
New Contributor III

Is there an extension or workflow to create sales territories if one has ArcMap desktop 10.3 but not Business Analyst? Thanks.

doug

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

B.A. uses the Network Analyst for routing and service area (etc) delineation.  You would need demographic and other forms of data.  Some data, I presume, are proprietary.  Perhaps is you can define your end goal, some tangible suggestions might come forth.

DougHaller1
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan. My goal is to create sales territories without access to B.A. Are you suggesting that I use Network Analyst for doing this in ArcMap? 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

network analyst in only part... the data packaging is what makes it a separate saleable product.  You can monkey-patch a solution if cost is a solution, but don't expect a replica for a much cheaper price.  You would be advised to identify your exact needs and see if the data and methods of analysis can be readily attained within freely available open source data and various combinations of gis and other software.

0 Kudos
DougHaller1
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan,

I am trying to create 3 sales territories from 50 states. I thought it would be easy!  The data I have are state names and last total sales by state in thousands of dollars.  The range is 0 to 650k.  Need to divide the states  evenly among 3 sales reps so all have equal earning potential.  Thinking a python script might work.  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Python is a tool, not a solution.

What is the spread of the sales within the states?

Is travel distance important?

Is the location of the rep important relative to the location of the sales areas important?

Is there an association between sales of your X and other socioeconomic variables like employment type and/or income (ie no point in having farm combine sales areas if there are no farmers)

The list goes on

0 Kudos