Basemap slow , JavaScript API 4.4

09-23-2017 04:32 AM
LageplanGöttingen
New Contributor III

Hey,

I am having some troubles to make my application "fluent" with the new API for JavaScript (4.4).

In 3.3 when zooming/panning the new tiles load instantly and even to all sides. In 4.4 the tiles seem to load randomly and much slower. This can be seen in a minimalized example from Esri.

1. Is there a workaround/solution for this? Or will this be fixed in the future?
2. Do you have any other tipps to make applications more fluent in general?

Best regards,
Wiard

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ThomasSolow
Occasional Contributor III

The basemaps load fine for me using both versions of the API.  The example you link is fluid for me

You say that in 3.XX, tiles are loading quickly enough for you but in 4.XX they are not.  The two versions use the same services for the basemaps, so this shouldn't really be a problem.

One troubleshooting option would be to open up the network tab in dev tools and see how long it's taking for tiles to get from the server to the client.  You can do this for both API versions to see if there's a significant difference (there shouldn't be).

My guess is that there's a browser issue of some kind here.  Which browser/version are you using?  Another possibility is that your connection to the map servers is intermittently poor and you've only noticed it while working with the 4.XX API.

0 Kudos
LageplanGöttingen
New Contributor III

It seems the problem only accurs on big screen solutions, so its probably a browser problem (performance). I noticed that the basemaps in both versions get the tiles from the service with equal speed. 

I guess the reason why the basemap in 3.x seems more fluent to me is that the view / map freezes until all tiles are downloaded and than refresh the view / map after. In 4.x the tiles are shown directly after downloading.  I am looking for a solution to do the same in 4.x.

What i want to do in 4.x when zooming / panning

1. Request Tiles

2. Freeze the view

3. Wait for all tiles

4. Unfreeze the view

0 Kudos