How to collect the z-coordinates of features using Collector App

Jump to solution
09-25-2017 12:31 PM
deleted-user-lsVoXZ2QKkTd
New Contributor

I am looking to collect data on an mid-size city's storm sewer system.  This would include using the collector app to collect information at each structure including all pipe data, size, type, condition, and location.  We need to collect not only horizontal positioning, but also the elevation at the flow line.  Is there a way to collect elevation at this time?  Thus far, my research has lead me to using metadata to get the altitude, but I need my elevation based on my local coordinate system.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PanagiotisPapadopoulos
Esri Regular Contributor

Does Collector store the altitude on the z-value of a geometry?

Collector does not support directly storing the altitude on the z-value of a geometry. This will be supported in an upcoming release. Currently, you can capture the altitude values of point features, and use the ProjectZ geoprocessing tool to transfer these values to geometry z-values.

Troubleshooting—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Last I checked, Collect Z values (elevation) using Collector App 

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
PanagiotisPapadopoulos
Esri Regular Contributor

Does Collector store the altitude on the z-value of a geometry?

Collector does not support directly storing the altitude on the z-value of a geometry. This will be supported in an upcoming release. Currently, you can capture the altitude values of point features, and use the ProjectZ geoprocessing tool to transfer these values to geometry z-values.

Troubleshooting—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

TiffanyPuett
Occasional Contributor II

I believe that the Project Z tool cannot use a Geoid. Therefore the height that you get is Ellipsoid height which is not typically sufficient for modeling stormwater sewer.

0 Kudos
nizarsalih
New Contributor III

Could you or anyone explain more, appreciated.

0 Kudos
JRAdams
New Contributor III

I second Nizar Salih's request. Any further information is greatly appreciated. 

Does this mean the z-values obtained will not be accurate? We need survey grade accuracy, so it is important to determine the reliability. Thank you!! test_collector https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/collector-for-arcgis?sr=search&searchId=4dfbd2...

0 Kudos
nizarsalih
New Contributor III

Hi Brita, it is possible to get survey grade accuracy using collector. Check Alison Walker workaround workflow https://frontierprecision.com/achieve-vertical-accuracy-using-esris-collector-app/

TiffanyPuett

Nice job Alison!! This looks great! Really looking forward to this being core sometime soon.

0 Kudos
erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

I'm using ArcPro 2.2 and ArcMap 10.5.1, and can't get either the Project-Z OR Alison Walker's workaround to work. The elevation values do not change. Is this a known bug?

Erica
0 Kudos
TiffanyPuett

Make sure you install the coordinate systems from your Esri Customer Portal.

0 Kudos