New Layer not editable?

02-03-2011 02:43 PM
ScottJoseph
New Contributor
Hello everyone,

I'm quite new to ArcGIS and ArcMap, and am trying to learn the basics. One thing that has me stumped, however, is making a layer editable so I can create features. I have no problems with the tutorial data, but when I go to do it on my own, I do not know how to make a layer editable. Maybe I'm making the layer wrong? I right click on "Layers" in my Table of Contents, and click on "Create New Group Layer". However, I can't even find the symbology tab for said layer, it's simply not there. Anybody who can point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
TimSpivey
Occasional Contributor III
Hello everyone,

I'm quite new to ArcGIS and ArcMap, and am trying to learn the basics. One thing that has me stumped, however, is making a layer editable so I can create features. I have no problems with the tutorial data, but when I go to do it on my own, I do not know how to make a layer editable. Maybe I'm making the layer wrong? I right click on "Layers" in my Table of Contents, and click on "Create New Group Layer". However, I can't even find the symbology tab for said layer, it's simply not there. Anybody who can point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Scott -
1) Are you using ArcEditor?
2) Which version, eg 9.3.1 or 10?
3) Do you have the layer you wish to edit in your table of contents?

In ArcEditor 9.3.1 -

To add a layer the basic way
- in the Table of Contents, right-click on Layer and choose Add Data

To edit a layer
- find the Main menu, pull down View, then Tools, and place a checkmark next to Editor. The Editor toolbar will appear on screen. On the toolbar, click on the pulldown arrow next to Editor and choose Start Editing.
You also save edits and stop editing from this pulldown menu.
0 Kudos