[LDAP: error code 4 - Sizelimit Exceeded]

02-08-2011 09:51 AM
JosephWallis
New Contributor II
When I go to the administration page I get this error, and none of the metadata I have uploaded appear in the list at the bottom of the page.  I looked in the database and I can see entries for the metadata that I uploaded, but these don't show up when I try and do a search.

Internet research reveals that the error about size limit exceeded has to do with a setting in Active Directory, but further goes on to say you need to narrow down your query in the app and avoid upping this limit in Active Directory.  The problem is I don't know what part of the gpt.xml ldapadapter settings needs to be narrowed down because I thought I was as precise as I could be given our AD topology.

I'm not even certain that this LDAP error is what is preventing the metadata from showing up, but I would like to get rid of all errors if possible.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JosephWallis
New Contributor II
So I discovered that Geoportal is a non paging application.  In other words, if your max returned results from a directory search exceed the limit, Geoportal will throw an error instead of paging results in manageable chunks.  This doesn't work well for my organization, as I want to be able to use my Domain Users group as the branch to authenticate against, yet it has over a 1000 objects in it which exceeds the MaxPageSize in AD.  My sys admins are not willing to increase the limit since all other AD apps seem to be paging (at least those in the Microsoft stack).  For now I've had to limit the DIT search to a certain group of domain users in a particular office....which will not work long term.

Does anyone know if you can specify multiple DIT searches?  I could add each office group into the gpt.xml if geoportal will spool through those.
0 Kudos
MartenHogeweg
Esri Contributor
hi, we'll look into this issue. what version of Geoportal Extension are you using? or are you using the successor open source Esri Geoportal Server (http://esriurl.com/geoportalserver)?
0 Kudos
AdamWright1
New Contributor
inteller;75604 wrote:
The problem is I don't know what part of the gpt.xml ldapadapter settings needs to be narrowed down because I thought I was as precise as I could be given our AD topology.

QUOTE]

We just performed a migration from ArcGIS Server Geoportal Extension 9.3.1 SP1 to the new Geoportal Server 1.0 and received the same LDAP error message at the root of the administration page. I simply copied the ldapadapter settings from our 9.3.1 gpt.xml to the newer 1.0 gpt.xml when performing the migration. The older 9.3.1 instance with identical ldapadapter settings does not return any error messages on the administrator page. I'll post a solution if we figure it out. Please do the same.

Thanks,

-Adam
0 Kudos