bpdurand

Travel distance between two addresses

Discussion created by bpdurand on Feb 23, 2011
Latest reply on Feb 24, 2011 by bpdurand
My apologies for posting this in multiple forums but I was not sure where to post it.
I am very new to GIS - 3 weeks.

After over a week of fighting with it, I have figured out how to find the "as the crow flies" distance between two addresses.

I have written up instructions on how to do it.  If anyone needs these instructions, just contact me and I will send them to you.

Now what I need to do, is something similar but get route distance (via roads) and if possible route time. This needs to be done in a many-to-one address relationship. For example, I need to find out how far driving distance it is from multiple specific addresses (which will be geocoded) to one specific address. More specific example, I need to know how far it will be for specific people to drive to a hospital or something similar. FYI, can't really use nearest facility because the destination address will be specified.

I have been looking for something similar to PointDistance_analysis but I can not find anything. Is what I am trying to do even possible? Is there a function similar to PointDistance_analysis or will it be much more complicated, as it looks like it may. If there is a function what is it? If it will be more complicated, a link to an example or something similar would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Barry

Outcomes