Build Geometric Network failing in Oracle at ArcGIS 10

02-28-2011 05:00 PM
DavidKlein
New Contributor
Hi All,

I've loaded a heap of electric data into an Oracle geodatabase.  When I try to build a network from this data, it fails with the following error:

Build Geometric Network failed.
DBMS table not found [ ORA-00942: table or view does not exist] [GISMIG1.T_1_PolyErrors] [STATE_ID = 7]
DBMS table not found [ ORA-00942: table or view does not exist] [GISMIG1.T_1_LineErrors] [STATE_ID = 7]
DBMS table not found [ ORA-00942: table or view does not exist] [GISMIG1.T_1_PointErrors] [STATE_ID = 7]
DBMS table not found [ ORA-00942: table or view does not exist] [GISMIG1.T_1_DirtyAreas] [STATE_ID = 7]

2 other relevant facts I have found:

1) I can load this same data into a File Geodatabase and the Geometric Network builds just fine.

2) These 4 T_* tables that it is looking for do in fact briefly exist, shortly after I begin the Geometric Network build process.  Then they are gone again, and the build process blows up complaining it cannot find them.  It is as if ArcGIS is creating these tables for temporary use, but deleting them before it is done with them.

Has anyone seen this behavior?  Any advice how to solve it? 

Cheers,
Dave
0 Kudos
18 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
Dave,

Can you contact Tech Support and log an incident for this issue?
http://support.esri.com/phoneSupport#us

We'll probably need to get a dump of your database in house for testing.  I have not seen this issue before.

thanks,
0 Kudos
SharonStevenson
New Contributor
Did you find a solution to this problem?  I'm having the same issue.
0 Kudos
PaulSchneider
Occasional Contributor
We were having a similar issue, only on SQL Server.  In the first step of the Geometric Network Wizard we had been selecting 'Yes' to 'Snap Features within a specified tolerance'; and specifying a looser tolerance level than the feature dataset is based on. By selecting 'No', we were able to create and build the geometric network successfully.

We still needed to snap our features however, so we used the Snap Tool (Editing Tools Toolbox); which gave us a little more control over how snapping was carried out anyway.

Maybe this will work for your Feature Dataset?
AndrzejMilosz
New Contributor
I have the same error building geometric network in Oracle with ArcGIS 10. I check "Snap features within specified tolerance" to Yes and give value there 0,0009 Meters.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]25046[/ATTACH]

I would be thankful for any suggestions to solve this problem,

Andrzej
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Are you attempting to build the network as the schema owner or as SDE?  Otherwise, does the DBMS user account you are using have permissions to the tables (base, F, S, A, D) of the objects participating in the network?
0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor
So, I've just encountered the same error in oracle with ArcGIS 10.0.  I'm executing this as the schema owner.  Would it be preferred to execute it as SDE?

Thanks,
Ed
0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor
Just tried it as SDE.. same error.

Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.

Ed
0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor
One further point of information that I just realized may be important.  There are two datasets in this instance.  One for gas and one for electric.  I had previously successfully created a geometric network for the gas dataset -- as the gas schema owner.  The error is now occurring when I try to create a network in the electric dataset.. as either the electric schema owner or as SDE.

Is it possible that I now don't have permission to tables created when the first network was built?

Ed
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Which version of Oracle?  I am wondering if your UNDO tablespace is being exhausted when creating the geometric network(s) in Oracle due to an extremely long transaction; especially since you mentioned that 4 T_* tables briefly exist.  How long does it run against Oracle before it fails?  You also said earlier that it worked in a file geodatabase.  Log into your Oracle database via SQLplus and check your undo parameters:

SHOW PARAMETER undo

You should see something similar to this:

• undo_management string AUTO

• undo_retention integer 3600

• undo_tablespace string UNDOTBS1

I'm specifically interested in seeing your undo retention parameter value.  It might be that the undo retention value is too large, or the UNDO tablespace is to small.  If it is too large, then Oracle will keep buffering data until the tablespace fills up.  I've found this article to be helpful at times.
0 Kudos